How i reduced my sons insurance..

Discussion in 'Car chat' started by technodimwit, May 16, 2013.

1. technodimwit

technodimwit Active Member

Rides:
    Honda X8R
    hi guys,
    my son is 19, bought himself a brand new fiesta 1.25l zetec.
    When he got it home from the dealers, his origanal insurance company refused to insure the car as it wasn't on the insurance database..:(

I spent a hole day, chasing quote after quote in his name, the worst being £9,500:p, get real with life.

Then i tried Admiral insurance, first quote £3,800 fully comp:).
    then i added my wife, very carefull driver aged ** years old, quote dropped to £2,800 :), then i added me, quote dropped again to £2,400:D..

it's worth trying anything to get your insurance costs down.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    also if you go through the list of different types of jobs on comparison websites, it affects the premium. can drop the price by almost £200. depending how cheeky you are;)

technodimwit likes this.
  3. bashyy21

bashyy21 Beaut!

you can get boxes installed now by insurance company's that tells them how your driving, they drop the price by alot

4. supraking

supraking Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX125
    yes, but with my driving, pointless :)

ive also found with me, the more drivers the higher the insurance is. strange

5. Chubz

Chubz Well-Known Member

Rides:
    70cc Aerox 04'
    same here lol.... my driving is atrocious, ( but good ) ;) i think insurance companies would have a heart attack if i got a black box in my car...

They just measure how your driving.. but DO lower your insurance quotes by a hell of a lot... i was getting quotes of 1.8k on a fiesta mk5 1.25... but with the box, they were around 1k..... i would rather not have my driving style available to see at all times tbh...

Named drivers take it down too.... or if you get your parent to be the owner of the car+main driver, add u as the named driver... thats what iv done and im paying 2.2k fully comp on a mk5 fiesta zetec-s 1.6 ..... as a named driver... with a 'detailed' past.

But if you can use your parents no claims on That insurance policy, then the quote should drop even more..... But my mum's classic mini is too precious to take no claims from ;)

6. sino

sino Andrew

Rides:
    motorcycle
    try living in liverpool insurance on a mirca at age 21 is 2600 on my focus 4000 but on a volvo t5 its 3000 :D

7. supraking

Rides:
    Honda MSX125
    lol i can get an evo or gto insured for 3k :)
    or 2.5k with the mrs on as a named driver

8. Chubz

Chubz Well-Known Member

Rides:
    70cc Aerox 04'
    i got quoted £3000 to insure a yellow Evo 4 with 300bhp..... fully comp...on my own policy, first legal car at 22.... lol....

£800 more than i had so settled for a fiesta zs mk5... lol £2200

9. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

i can get a porsche 964 insured for £200, cheaper than my caddy van which is £360

10. supraking

Rides:
    Honda MSX125
    2.2k to insure a 1.6 fiesta, damn thats rediculous

11. christoph

christoph New Member

Them black boxes are well worth the saving you get. I had one for a year with the co-op and saved me nearly a grand. As long as your son isn't a complete moron, which I presume and hope he's not it will be fine. You can always check your progress and they really aren't as harsh as people make out. Its all relative basicly you don't have to drive like a complete granny and there are tolerances which overall make it ideal for young drivers. Still ridiculous this day and age we have to have big brother in the car because otherwise insurance companies are aloud to rip Joe public off!!.

12. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    post code makes a lot a difference even 4 miles away can put £200 on a policy as I found out when I moved and I live on the south coast in a small town, this was on a 21 year olds 5cwt van

13. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    If you get one of these 'boxes' installed in your vehicle,to lower your insurance quote - who's actually driving the vehicle.????.
    You OR the broker's.;).