How do I re restrict a 50cc MBK Ovetto/Yamaha Neos???

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by BADGER, Mar 23, 2013.

1. BADGER

BADGER Member

I've decided to leave the Ped/scoot as it is at present but have told him the first time I get a report of him riding at speed I'll restrict the thing ( after much moaning from him!) I have plenty of eyes locally who have caught him upto minor sins in the past so he knows he will be seen and explained that any car following could be a cop car ! Hopefully it's sunk in ! I even showed him my mates wooden leg ( plastic and metal) just to show him what can happen when it all goes wrong.

Thanks for your input everyone I'm really enjoying the Forum and even thinking of trying to find myself a vintage ped to go on some of the NACC runs (national auto cycle and cycle motor club) or another cheap scooter Something like your Vision or a Honda C50 (not quite a scoot)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    good luck, a reasonable move in my opinion. Hope he doesnt betray your trust and stays black side down. Let us know how you get on

3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I'm likein your thread. :) .
    Make sure his mates don't try to stitch him up 'cause he's blown them off!. :) .,
    my old man caught me for alot of things when i was younger (but did'nt see everything!),
    Best of luck.mark.

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Headlight,no.plate as m/c,but thought a restricted 'ped was tech. classed as powered bycycle with only appearance as had tread at one point,definable tread would only be required if un-res.and "reclassified' as light m/c.

5. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
    no. you must have a viable tread, it coild be as low as 0.5mm but once you cant see the patten you must replace it

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Point taken,heard lots of issues surrounding it-would think then most sensible option would be
    to not let them get to low in 1st place/given relative cost of tyres.

7. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Any one who rides a ped with just visible tread must be mad . The tyre laws are really strange, did you know that a Ford transit van tyre becomes illegal at 1.6mm of tread yet it would be legal to fit it on a 12 seat Ford Transit minibus which only needs 1mm of tread.

8. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
    it's all to be with the waight class, and speed rating or the vehicle. me thinks.
    i scooter should only do 32mph and rating is what about 0.1mm(visible line), but on a 100cc scooter that dose 50mph it's 1mm. on my bandit 600 i was told to replace me tyre with 2.5mm tred.

9. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Although 1mm is the legal limit it's crazy to go anywhere near it. 2.5mm is about as close as I would want to go.

10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    No further comment now methinks,getting outclassed by overhead comments well
    beyond my dated knowledge. :) .

11. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    when it gets anywhere under 2mm at the rear its burnout time ;)

[​IMG]

12. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    You are a blessing!,...... :) ..so much for cutting down on smoking in the future.

13. WTPchiefSKP

WTPchiefSKP Member

Rides:
    cpi sm77
    me and my bro were caught racing round my town at 55-60 mph on our "50's" and they just gave us a stern talking to been pulled over speeding a couple of times but only been fined for dark lights -.- but hey ho still no points :) i see people with restricted peds and i honestly agree with stig it does disturb the flow of traffic especially with the utter helmets round my way that dont care about other road users especially on 2 wheels at least unrestricted he has a chance to get himself out of dodge :) let me know how he gets on :)

14. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    So appreciative of the advice i've received on this forum+major opportunity to update
    old skill set!
    When i do eventually get my 50 (de-restricted,tuned and modified)totally legal/otr.
    Will be posting full (a-z) guide,so as to leave absolutely no doubt how to otr them as we
    should have them.