Honda Sky SGX50 Crank Seals

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Del Sky, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that....Yeah that kinda makes sense... in the process of making a tool to fit in the holes of the ring gear, and going to see a bloke tomorrow that used to work on these things....

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Thats how most scooters are

Del Sky likes this.
  3. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Still having problems getting this starter ring gear off, so have made this tool, I fear though that it may not be strong enough for the job, as it is bound to be tight on those threads,next step I think is to strip the right hand side, to get to the other crank seal, and also be able to hold the crank.....it would have been so much easier, if there had been an hexagon on the end of the crank, for an Allen key..... 53292329_2217760171796919_6209802590029348864_n.jpg 53249626_2217760688463534_5438216255083380736_n.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    For anyone else attempting this job, the starter ring gear is NOT threaded, but is on a tapered part of the crank shaft.....we live and learn.....

Attached Files:

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I thought so...

6. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    O.k, that's the L/H side crank seal replaced.....unfortunately I can't test it, because I now have no spark at the plug, I fear that I may have damaged the stator, by placing a screwdriver in one of the holes in it, to stop the crank from turning....I have since read up on it, and it says "On no account place anything in these holes, as it may protrude too far and damage the stator"....that's when you know, and when you don't.....am now waiting for a flywheel puller to arrive, so that we can have a look.

Attached Files:

7. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    So how did you get the ring gear off in the end? Have a puller but it is not really the right one.

8. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    OK don't bother, got it off in the end, but a pig of a job. Typical honda.

Del Sky likes this.
  9. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Yes, took me a while to figure it out.....I thought that it was threaded......but it isn't......

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I bet it wasn't as hard to get off as my atv one....

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

IMG_20200320_185411_950.JPG
    That's a 10 ton hydraulic puller.
    And I got the oxy/acetaline on it...
    Didn't even move....

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

IMG_20200320_185558_892.JPG
    I made a proper tool for it in the end.
    It's a 50mm thread on the flywheel.
    It actually flared the end of the crank.
    Turned out the keyway sheared off and "welded" itself together.

13. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Once I got it off, tried to remove old oil seal with a small oil seal pick. It litterally just feel out, totaly duff.
    Anyway now that the new one is in, bike runs fine.
    Just wondering about refitting the ring gear. I tried to hit it back in place with a piece of 1 1/4" pipe, and a hammer, but it would just bounce off. So I ended up just reassembling and tighten everything back up again. Seems OK but wonder if this is the correct way to reassemble?

upload_2020-3-20_19-18-41.jpeg

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

You should heat it to do it "by the book" but just tightening it up so it clamps together is fine. It's not like it's a really high spec super fast sports bike.