Honda Sky Head Gasket

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Del Sky, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Buy the base gasket seperately. How bad did you muller the gasket?

2. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Broke it, when putting the barrel on.....back in the day we used to use Lino, but can't seem to find anything in the house that I could make one out of......

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Cardboard. My tomos has a base gasket made from a weetabix box.

Del Sky likes this.
  4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just sent for the base gasket, couple of quid, but that's very interesting, Thanks.

5. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Couple of quid? Cheap as chips!

Del Sky likes this.
  6. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    O.k.....the new base gasket is on it's way, is there anything that I can put on it, or on the base itself, to hold it in place, while I put the barrel back on ? so that the holes align correctly, or is this not a good idea.....someone suggested a little dab of toothpaste on each corner.....

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Grease!

Del Sky likes this.
  8. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Ahh.....now that makes sense, thanks....

9. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    We now have a running engine.....easy when you know how ain't it....figured out that if you put the base gasket on the barrel first, it stays in position....eased the barrel back down over the rings, attached the head, kicked her over, and she fired straight up !!…...turned her off almost immeadiatley, because I still got to torque it down...….MARVELLOUS !!

scubabiker likes this.
  10. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just watched a very informative video on you tube…..apparently the best way to install a piston and rings into a barrel, is to turn the barrel upside down, so that you can actually SEE the rings going into the barrel, and then attach the piston to the con rod with the Gudgeon pin.....rather than trying to install the piston into the barrel while it is still attached to the con rod, and you can't see bugger all.....that's how I broke three rings.....well that's my excuse anyway.....we live and learn....

Attached Files:

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

That's how I nearly always do it.
    Sucks when you try and put the pin clip in though.

Del Sky likes this.
  12. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Yes, I can imagine that will be fun, will find out in a couple of days, as I have sent for a new piston kit, should be here Wednesday......after I had put the Honda Bali barrel and piston on, I found a broken bit of ring on the floor, so took it apart (again) and sure enough the top ring was broken...… measured it to the best of my ability, and sent for a standard 40mm piston kit...…..

scubabiker likes this.
  13. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Disaster !!….followed by Success !!…..broke one of the exhaust flanges, on the Bali barrel, by over tightening, so have now resorted to the original Sky barrel.....so we now have a Sky barrel, a Bali head, and the piston out of a SYM 50 cc, but don't care, it starts and runs like a good 'un.....new piston kit should be here tomorrow, but might leave well alone, and keep it as a spare......

Attached Files:

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Thats how I've always done mine, piston into the barrel then offer onto the rod.

Del Sky likes this.
  15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It's naked!

Del Sky likes this.
  16. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Yes.....hopefully get the new roller weights in the variator tomorrow, then start putting her back together......I now have all the plastic for the bodywork.....

17. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    View attachment 14121 That's the new variator roller weights installed, and the final drive topped up with 10w 40......every thing seems fine...….I have one problem, I can't seem to stop the exhaust from blowing at the manifold.....any suggestions ??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It's not on properly.

Del Sky likes this.
  19. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Yes, I see that now, took it off again and re-positioned it.....still a small leak, but much better than it was.

scubabiker likes this.