HONDA MELODY 50CC 1982 ATTEMPT TO TUNE!!

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by GRUSSY, Apr 5, 2009.

1. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    its not a 4t.... airbox's cause higher negative pressure in the carb wich pulls more fuel through, you dont need free flowing air really.

put your airbox back on, get a dellorto 17.5mm carb (redily avalable on here and ebay) THEN when you can ajust every aspect of the fuel mix you can vary the air pressure/rate. you wont get ANY gains from removing the airbox, this is max power tunning (as in idiots theory's)
    there are a few jetting guides on here if you dig around the guides section (again, should look here first)

2. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

if the main jet is pressed into the carb body, that carb isnt really tunable...

have a scan around for something like a Dellorto 17.5mm, all the jets are available for them, and they were fitted to loads of scoots/small motorcycles as std....obviously how the carb fits onto the manifold is going to be an issue, whether its a 2 bolt flange like a speedfight or a male/female connection like most other scoots.

I remember Honda melodys years ago when they were a common site on the roads, usually yellow with a white basket on the front (if i remember properly)

like minor says, its a case of scouting around and adapting things to fit, but seriously that main jet is going to be weak...

EDIT: minor beat me to it on the 17.5mm carb :emb:

And also on the air box, I saw a dyno test years ago in a scooter mag, they tested the difference of an airbox against an open filter on a sport 70 scooter....after much tinkering and rejetting and excess noise the open filter was worth 0.5 hp :tdwn:

The airbox can be modded succesfully if you think its restricting things ;)

3. GRUSSY

GRUSSY New Member

Ok i'll have a look at another carb etc. Yesterday while i had the airbox on i attempted to tune the carb but it wouldnt hit peak revs. I then removed the airbox and raised the needle etc then retuned and i got the thing screaming! thats why i thought the airbox was restrictive... and yeah its red with a white basket on the front lol although i have now painted the wheels black and removed the basket for the time been... quite retro a few ppl would say lol

4. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

A lot of manufacturers put a divider in the airbox with a small hole, this causes a nice big depression over the main jet, or as us old skool tuners call it a good signal over the main jet...

why they do this is to increase low/mid range response, and get away with fitting a small main jet, gives good fuel economy :nerd:

the trade off is the top end of the power curve gets strangled, take the small hole away and you get your top end back, and a big dead patch at the bottom end (your strong signal/depression has been taken away)

This big hole needs to be filled in with fuel, so you raise the needle, fit a much bigger main jet
    and kinda get it running ok in the low to mid range, and youve got a moped that now gives 50 mpg instead of 100 mpg....goes a bit quicker though :banana:

of course whether you think losing a shed load of mpg to gain a bit of top end is a worthwhile modification, thats entirely up to you...

its trial and error and theres always trade offs and compromises in tuning...

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    thing is, screaming doesent mean power... rpm increase isnt power increase.. its boxed jetted and ported for the pipe on there... the pipe is made to make power VERRY LOW. ANY 50 you want to get any sort of power from will need a pipe made for 7000rpm + power where as most 50's never see this. its 1000 to 5500rpm they aim for (fuel econimy, there ment to only go 30 remember) getting more revs wont always make more power.. bigger carb with the box jetted right and clutched up a little will mean more low end power. get the poipe sorted and find a tunable carb.. work out pic's. i cantr remember these engines atall (used to service them at work, when i was 14 LOLOL) pics, reedblock is probably useless (if atall, could be piston port/poppet valve, the engines older than me afterall)

6. ProRace2*Dragster

ProRace2*Dragster Member

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    part avalability, relativly common engines (not in england but still, ebay is always good)

do these bolt straight in? (guessing yes but dont wanna say it as ive never done it)

8. baz172

baz172 Member

9. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

that thread is 7 year old and look at this quote from it

",wank pm exhaust."

:w00t:

10. GRUSSY

GRUSSY New Member

I think i'm going to sell the melody after going out on it today, its just really sloooow. Its in good nick now and runs well, but i think i'm just going to be throwing money away. I any one is selling a fast-ish 50cc and live near sheffield etc please get in touch. I lnly want something cheap to commute to work on.

11. safekyle

safekyle New Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner 172
    Some good information in this thread.

Im selling a aerox but best off getting a piaggio based engine :tup:

you are best off keeping that bike standard, for sell it as like memorbilia for them older people :w00t:

12. GRUSSY

GRUSSY New Member

13. Vesta

Vesta New Member

a grand for a 11 year old scooter without tax or mot,, nice

14. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye but it is a street magic!! :drool: (ye, only non piggy/gilera scoot i would own) engine is a bit shit/electrics are DIRE (especially the ignition if tunning) good toy to throw money at.. stick wiht a piggy/gilera for a nice easy/cheap scoot you can tune stupidly wiht no real hassel

15. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

someone on TAG was selling one for like 350 i think, or something like that !

16. GRUSSY

GRUSSY New Member

Whats TAG pal? have you got a direct link?

17. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

i think the guys on here too.

18. GRUSSY

GRUSSY New Member

CZYNRG is that the bloke? i cant post in the for sale section. I'm very interested in the whole bike if some one could give him a shout, only live at rotherham tell him
    TAR

19. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

nah that int him.

called buzzy or somehting

20. GRUSSY

GRUSSY New Member

Evening, i'm still running the melody and although its not that bad, it will now do 35mph lol i have come across some honda vison big bore kits on ebay....
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350098558207&fromMakeTrack=true

I've been told that the early vison engines were the same as my melody one, in which case would this fit? it looks the same as mine in the pictures, and secondly would it do much?

cheers