Honda Dylan 04 - Power Issues

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by MoonDog, May 4, 2012.

1. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    I considered one of those airsal 153cc kits. I think ad-pedstop do them for £120ish. Would be nice to go up hills a little faster, but i suspect a sports windscreen would achieve much the same. ;)

Pmtuning do a 170cc polini big bore kit for £255, but to pricey for me.

I may eventually grab the 150cc kit so i can do the A2 test on my scooter, instead of needing to do it on a geared bike. For the forseeable future i see myself preferring autos to manuals. So much easier to not worry about gears. Also being restricted to 33bhp isnt a downside, burgman 400s are 33bhp.

I have the jets in my front room. :p

Just need to get well now, then im gonna open up a can of serious tweaking and get my test out of the way.

2. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    Hope your recovering well, how's Dylan?

3. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Same as. :/

Im recovering slowly, the bones are mending, but i will be out of commision probably for another month at least, then maybe another month after that before i will dare to start work on the bike and get it sorted for its MOT. I'll probably SORN it for August and MOT it in September.

God knows what the Insurance will be this year, but this little fiasco will probably push it up a fair bit. I am going to push to get my test out of the way as soon as possible, ideally before November. Then i can think about getting something a tad bigger, and paying a little less on insurance for it (hopefully). I think ive decided to skip the limited test and just do the DAS route. It will cost more, but i might be able to skip straight to the Silverwing 600 that i really would like. But keep the 125 for work runs. The 600 would allow me to do longer distance runs in less time, and do some touring abroad next year. 3-4 weeks in Spain would be brilliant, but it wont happen this year due to my current problems.

Anyways only time will tell. :p

4. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    Not a thing you can do anything about really just have to let the collarbone repair itself, Its not just the ped you cant really work or anything can you at the moment. I dont think the insurance will go up drastically. I'm thinking of doing the restricted test in the near future I want something a bit bigger but for now the dylan is quite alright. Anyway get well soon pal.

5. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    If you are doing the test, do it sooner rather than later, as some new stupid rules come in after christmas, whereby you will no longer be able to do restricted if you arent 18-21 (or something like that). Also DAS test will be on 6500cc bikes as the limit increases from 500cc. Apparently 650cc bikes are a pain to control in comparison to the 500's.

At the minute, 2 things may screw with my restricted test.

1) My legs are long and the bars hit them so i cant get full lock on the bike, which will make doing the figure of 8 a fkin nightmare. Am considering whether i could add bar extenders, but it would probably be easier to just take the test on a full bike.
    2) Speed. Two of the manouevers require a minimum speed of 32mph to get a pass (avoidance and emergency stop). With my current setup id be pushing it to hit that speed in the distances required (half circle at 19-20mph for 100m, then 32mph within about 70m). But at the same time i could change the variator weighting to compensate for the need for low to mid acceleration and probably boost it, while losing the top speed a little. The other possibility is fitting one of those 153cc airsal kits, just to boost acceleration a touch, and hope they dont test the bike.

6. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Ok starting to get my shit back together, so a small update.

Main front fairing, broken beyond repairability. Cost of new part £178 :/ . But i need it to pass the MOT.
    LH Brake. £11 from some bike place in Wales. Ordered Today.
    Front Fairing Sub Frame. £17.50 from some bike shop in Hull.

Today i stripped the bike and gave it a quick clean. Siphoned the fuel tank. Assessed all the fairings and a few other things to work out what i need to buy to get it back on the road. List made, and now im trawling ebay for the parts.

Tomorrow its going on its side so i can apply anti rust to the underside.

In a couple of days i intend to respray anything that was rusty.

Likelihood of riding it in the next 2 weeks. Unlikely. Shoulder isnt fully repaired yet, but its getting back to normal. Also i cant easily lift things due to the injury, but my right arm compensates quite nicely.

I hope by August to be able to ride again, then its a matter of MOT and get back to work.

7. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    The respray is done, rust eliminated as best i can.

Ive done an anti rust coat (then washed off the gel the next day), 1 coat of Standard Enamel Spray Paint, 2 coats of Rubberised Enamel Spray Paint, and yesterday 1 coat of Enamel Lacquer. The frame looks pretty sweet, and will hopefully be good for another year.

What id love to do some time, is completely strip the bike, right back to the point where i can get at the entire frame and paint it completely, but i dont have the energy or strength at the minute to do that.

The new fairing arrives on Wednesday.

The fairing sub frame and brake lever arrived on thursday and friday. Now the painting is done, i will be fitting both of those.

Some bits of fairing need repairs due to fittings breaking. I have a new pack of cable ties to affect repairs with. :p

Pictures will be coming either today or tomorrow (although why you want to see my very naked ped is beyond me).

Things still todo:
    1) Carb overhaul (pilot and main jet swaps), general cleanup after sitting with petrol in it for 5 weeks.
    2) Re-fit the Venom Exhaust (which wasnt damaged in the crash thankfully).

8. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Well after the centre stand fiasco, i now have this new bit of kit to add to the scoot.

[​IMG] - £28 on ebay

Hopefully it creates better aerodynamics, and keeps the rain off me a little more. :)

In the end the engineer gave it a cat d, as it wasnt structurally damaged, the plastics took most of the force away from the bike. Still a few bits of fairing could do with replacing.