Honda Dylan 04 - Power Issues

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by MoonDog, May 4, 2012.

1. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Well today i ordered some stuff. Exhaust is now enroute, and a set of drill to socket adaptors (since my cordless drill does torque settings up to 150Nm). Ive ordered clutch springs from the local Honda dealer, arrival is next week. Im looking to purchase a pack of exhaust gaskets as i seem to go through a couple each year.

Im looking at next Thursday for a maintenance day, but if the exhaust hasnt arrived i may leave it until the week after.

This virus thats going around does seem to be unusually bad. Attacks the lungs quite nastily, and has given me a moderate case of bronchitis. But im starting to get on top of it now. Hope your son has a swift recovery.

2. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    Well i hope everything goes well on maintenance day, you'll have to let me know how you get on with the clutch springs because I havent done that yet. My son seems to be ok he's out of hospital now and getting better. Hope you feel good soon. All the best.

3. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Wemoto sent an email saying the exhaust is now enroute. Arrival will be next week i guess, probably Monday or Tuesday. Dont know what delivery times are like from this company.

Got the socket to drill convertors yesterday and lets just say undoing the transmission cover on the bike in 15 secs is very cool. Also can get the variator plate off without the mole grips now. I loosened it off and torqued it back up at 40Nm. The clutch should be a bit easier now. :)

Springs have no doubt arrived up at the local Honda dealer. But i have a problem called laziness. I cant be bothered driving the 35 miles up to the dealer to pick them up. Maybe tomorrow it will rain and not be sunny and warm, and i will have a reason to drive up there. :p

4. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    Haha brilliant news, can't wait till you have everything on and the difference it makes. I'm off work tomorrow so it better not rain! Good luck fitting everything, sounds like you have the right tools anyway! Should be nice and easy for you. Let me know of any further progress or any hiccups and I'll do my best for you.

5. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Well i have one Motad Venom Exhaust sat in my bedroom. :)

The bad news is Damerells screwed up the clutch spring order somehow, and the supplier intends to send them one at a time, over the next 3 months. Told them to post them down as and when they arrive. Now going to just buy the whole clutch assembly new, and be done with it. The old stuff and springs can become spares.

Placed order with pedparts, 3 day economy deliver should land it sometime next week, mid week. Hope its not sunny, then i'll have incentive to go and swap it. :)

6. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    Haha brilliant, get the exhaust on! I Hate waiting for bits to arrive. Once you get the exhaust on you'll notice better performance straight away! Can't wait for winter when mine goes in my garage. Going to strip it and respray all the panels so it's lovely when I come to ride it again. At the moment it's a bit tatty body wise. But that's why I bought it so I could mess with it in winter. Love it. Happy scooting

7. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    One request.

Can you post a close-up pic of the mounting for your exhaust. Like where it mounts to (which hole did you bolt into), and maybe a general pic of the thing fitted to the bike, so i can get an idea of what its supposed to look like.

The instructions are interesting, but diagrams/pictures are a lot more useful. :)

Thanks.

8. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    Yes I'll do that as the instructions are wrong, it cannot bolt into the specified hole but it goes into the existing hole where the factory exhaust was bolted. Il take a picture for you soon.

9. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    I would also soak the three bolts on the exhaust clamp in WD 40 for half an hour before you remove them because if there anything like mine they were very difficult they were so tight. They just wanted to round off!

10. IceIceBaby!

IceIceBaby! yz125/ TTR250/ sold gilera ice

Rides:
    TTR250
    hi guys, dont mean to butt in and ive just had a little look through this post but havent read all of it.. but i did see you mention not to up jet with putting a new exhaust on, i would highly recomend up jetting as more fuel may be needed due to the power increase but your not putting anymore fuel through, i must admit i dont know to much about 4 stroke bikes which im guessing these are but i really would recomend up jetting to get the most out the exhaust and to keep the bike running well, otherwise it may run to lean.. i recently blew my bike up as i put a new exhaust on and did not up jet it corectly.. im not sure if you have up jetted as i have not read all of this sorry if you have, its not to hard to up jet and is well worth doing.

11. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    Thanks for the addition, I haven't up jetted but mine is running great as it is, if it ran a bit funny then I would certainly have changed the jet but I'm not going to mess with something if it seems ok. But will bear this in mind if I do see any changes.

12. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    If there is a guide on jetting, id be interested from the point of expanding my knowledge, and would happily get the parts and have a play for exactly the same reason. If a real difference was seen, then i could maybe create some instructions for other Dylan users who follow this path.

Either way i do enjoy getting my hands dirty and playing with the gubbins of things, of which this bike is my current favorite. :)

13. IceIceBaby!

Rides:
    TTR250
    well to be honest with you, jetting is a bit of trouble its easy enough to change the jet but its getting the right jet and mixture which is the trouble.. im not to sure about your specific bike but on my bike ( gilera ice 50, 2 stroke ) i had to go up 10% on my jetting when i put a new exhaust on my bike, if i was you i would go up maybe 2 - 4 jet sizes and see how it runs like i said im not to sure about 4 strokes but on 2 strokes its better to run slightly to rich than slightly to lean ( over jetted means to rich, under jetted means to lean ) if it runs to lean then it may cause your bike to over heat and cause damage t the engine.. personally if i was you i would take my carb apart see what size the main jet is and order a few that are slightly bigger there preety cheap ( make sure you get the right ones for you carb ) hope this helps keep me posted on how its going :)

14. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    I think the main jet is 112 standard

15. IceIceBaby!

Rides:
    TTR250
    like andy's said tho it may not need it but, its really worth a look as it shouldnt be too much hassle.

16. AndyWalsh

AndyWalsh Member

Rides:
    SES125-2 Dylan
    If you do decide to upjet and it works great for you then obviously I will do it but il see how you get on first before I start messing with it. Nice one for the advice though Ice

17. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Well after 1 hours research i can find bugger all about upjetting a 4 stroke honda scooter (generic as the engine is used in about 10 different models). Presumably there must be somewhere that sells the jets too, they just dont advertise that they do (on google).

This is very much in the future. :p

18. IceIceBaby!

Rides:
    TTR250
    no problem andy, just thought id let you know and im preety interested in learning more about 4 stroke bikes soo im keeping a bit of an eye on this post.. maybe gettin a 4 stroke gilera runner cheap soon soo maybe turning to you guys for some advice :)

ahaa well personally if i was you i would look for jetting guides for a gilera runner ( 4 stroke model ) as from what i can see they are the most tampered with 4 stroke scooters. then i would find out what carb is used on your bike then going looking for the jets, although the runner is completely different from your bike it may give you some idea.. not to sure tho, hope this helps

19. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Andy, could you explain where A,B,C,D,E are used. I've gathered that A and B are brackets to hold the exhaust in place, but where do they mount to? C and E i have no idea where they go. D probably goes into A in the lower hole and the long bolt probably goes the other way around.

[​IMG]

What sort of company sends written instructions to people that they can assume are not engineers. Dont they know a picture tells a thousand words. I sent Motad an email saying that most DIY Furniture suppliers give you better instructions. One blown up diagram showing what connects to what, and where they connect to each other, would make the process so much easier, and i'll bet they have tech diagrams that show this (probably in more detail) in the plans for each product.

So in short nice exhaust, pity about the instructions.

20. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Anyways i decided to give it a go, and my solution included hacking the design spec a little, when i fitted the clamp. I now in hindsight have decided on a better way of doing it with a longer bolt and nut. But regardless this design doesnt really work as far as i can see, as you can only bolt it into one place.

So some pictures of what i have done. Must say it sounds pretty nice now, with a deep rumble and a bit of a growl. Going to take it out for a spin in 20 mins, see what it handles like.

[​IMG]

The white gunk at the join is firegum, as i decided to make sure i got a good seal between the two parts. I had no gasket for the pipe, so i used firegum at the engine mount too. It should suffice until i can order a pack of gaskets.

[​IMG]

The supplied bolt was to long, plus this hole has no thread. So i discovered i had a smaller bolt, but it was still to long and hit the wheel so i used a load of washers to shorten the bolt, and placed a nut on the other side. Also not ideal, but it should hold for now (i hope).

[​IMG]

The finished product. What a shitty job i did. But i now know how this should really look, and i know i just need a longer bolt, then flip the bracket 180, the spacer fits between the long bits and goes through the arm, and the band nut goes through the single hole.

:)