High temperature paint?

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by Cory Cole-Wilkins, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Cory Cole-Wilkins

Cory Cole-Wilkins Member

Rides:
    Yamaha YQ-50 Aerox
    Hi there, I recently refurbished my Suzuki katana ay50 engine.
    I removed all the dirt and grease, I then sprayed it with a high temperature paint. It was a matt black paint produced by a company called "VHT".

The problem is that it didn't take very well, running a finger nail over the paint will show up. The paint is supposed to be oil resistant also, a little two stroke oil got on it. I wiped the two stoke oil off with a rag and the paint came off with it :/.

My question is:
    When I spray my Yamaha Aerox YQ-50 engine will I need to use a high temperature primer first to ensure the paint takes to the surface and settles correctly?

Thanks in advance for any answers, help is really aprreshiated. :)

2. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

i use normal paint on all my engines and tbh never seen it coming off ;) comes out nice aswell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Cory Cole-Wilkins

Cory Cole-Wilkins Member

Rides:
    Yamaha YQ-50 Aerox
    Sure looks good man!
    And that's just normal paint?
    Did you laqer it?

4. ramo

ramo GoldMember

You have to get vht up to high temp to 'bake' it before it's any good. Normal spray paint works but it chips easily and i found the heat can give it like a orange peel texture sometimes.

Best thing I reckon is engine enamel in a tin. It's nice and glossy it's easy to clean and hard to chip and it's designed for high temps

5. Cory Cole-Wilkins

Cory Cole-Wilkins Member

Rides:
    Yamaha YQ-50 Aerox
    Thanks for the reply :).
    Maybe I applied it a little thin then :confused:

6. phil.s

phil.s Active Member

vht is good for 800c so should be fine on a engine only time ive seen it peel and flake was on a mates exhuast thats how he realised his bike was running really lean cos it destroyed the paint

7. Cory Cole-Wilkins

Cory Cole-Wilkins Member

Rides:
    Yamaha YQ-50 Aerox
    Thanks Phill, Iv'e decided to use regular paint now because its only a little 50cc haha

8. phil.s

phil.s Active Member

still gets hot no matter the cc

huff_diggler likes this.
  9. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

you need to prepare the exhaust surface so it can adhere to it best way is a light sand blast with glass bead on the engine panel its best to use etch primer first before your top coat

10. huff_diggler

huff_diggler I'm ya daddy....

Rides:
    Z550 Dr600 Cz250
    There's a company called rustolium, they make a vht paint for bbq's and chimnias, you get it at b&q's in a blue tin, in various colours, green, black. Blue and grey/silver, it basically a matt spray that works like hammerite, and is probably the best stuff you will ever use 7.99 a can, magic.:D

11. Cory Cole-Wilkins

Cory Cole-Wilkins Member

Rides:
    Yamaha YQ-50 Aerox
    yes but i am only spraying the parts visable. not the barrel its self.

12. Jack James Coulson

Jack James Coulson Special Guy...

Rides:
    Suzuki TS 125 R
    I used high temp paint on an exhaust of one of my Chinese bikes I had purchased... from halfords. its cheap enough and worked, so.. if you look there all different temps. get a 600 degrees paint at least. :)

lifan.png

Was on this bike.

13. Ziptuga

Ziptuga New Member

Best exhaust paint is simoniz high tempture paint its shiny black not matt very good

14. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
    exhaust need's XHT, engine will be ok with any paint, if you go for a 30 min ride and you can touch the part you want to paint without it burning it not very hot is it. your case's are ok to tuch.

you piston kit should not go over 90c with out it dieing so why would you need 600c paint????

your exhaust will easy get to 600c+ so XHT is needed.

15. antman1992

antman1992 Member

Rides:
    Aerox

i just used crappy high tempt paint from halfords like £10 for the bottle on my exhaust works a charm just touch it up every now and again so it looks new so XHT shouldnt be.

Any high temp paint should work fine

16. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    why do you have to touch it up if its fine? exhaust gas's reach over 600c XHT would be better as it made for the job

17. altharic

altharic Member

I use stove paint never had a problem just touch up every so often.

18. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    I used to paint the engine casings on my 350LC with normal black satin paint...never came off due to the heat. Only time it ever got redone is if it got marked/scratched

VHT paint for exhausts but it only stops on a while as the combination of water and excessive heat will eventually make it rust through...a bit of wire wool and a recoat sorts ot out again for a month or so longer. Even chroming will rust if not cleaned regularly so paints got no chance. Only permanent solution is stainless

19. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    or ceramic coating

20. ramo

ramo GoldMember

don't think I've ever seen stainless exhaust on a 2t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk