HID kits

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by ramo, Nov 26, 2012.

1. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Does anyone know if they work on 50s at all? And do they even make a big difference really?

2. astro77

astro77 Active Member

no they won't work on most 50cc scooters because they have got 2 separate charging systems dc for the battery and ac for the headlight, hid ballast will only run off a stable dc ie the battery, the dc alone is just enough to keep the battery topped up and won't power a hid for long and you'll end up with a flat battery after about a hour, you can go the route of a full dc conversion, have a read of this http://vesporeanfaq.wikispaces.com/Full+DC+Conversion

3. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Hmm after reading up it looks like they only really to the dc power stuff for lambys and Vespas and they cost atleast £100 :(. It would deffo be perfect though apart from that

Does it make any difference that I was going to use the 35w one do you reckon? I'm gonna use a 7A battery either way and I was thinking about having the s6 rpm meter and a iPhone charger aswell...

Thanks for the help

4. astro77

astro77 Active Member

as I said above really your current headlight runs off ac and will not work or power the hid ballast and bulb, the only way it will work is if you hook it up to the battery. A 35 watt hid is just over 3amps so on a 7amp battery it will work for about two hours at best, and that's without anything else being used on the bike and the dc charging system won't be able to keep the battery charged.

As for the regulator/rectifiers in that link they will work fine on any small bike as long as you float the ground on the stator. :)

5. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
    they work on my stunt with no problems.
    only the high beam is HID the dip is an h4 i think.
    i just linked the high beam to an relay that powers the hid from the battery.
    low beam is just powered via the normal loom

the bulb you need as a h4-2 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-2-6000...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc3ddcae0
    the low beam bulb is better then my bikes stock bulb but i would say it the same when riding at night but the hid high beam is a lot better

6. astro77

astro77 Active Member

be interested in seeing your hids have you got a pic or vid of them working:D and those bulbs you linked, the ones you've supposedly got, you don't even know which is high and which is low
    http://m.lightinthebox.com/35W---HI...ID-4300K-6000K-With-CE--SZC6121-_p152696.html so stop talking crap, a 50cc will not run a hid for long periods of time unless the regulator/rectifier is full dc or the bikes had a full dc conversion with the ground floated in the stator

7. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    your link dose show that i may have mine wired wrong :p, but it dose not change the fact that i do have them fitted. i would be happy to show you a photo i will remove the front panel tomorrow and show you the light working and the ballast pack

8. astro77

astro77 Active Member

yeah but if yours are the wrong way round then your only using the hid on high beam for shortened periods of time and the halogen as the low beam, that's why yours might be working but defeats the object of having hids:D

9. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
  10. astro77

astro77 Active Member

11. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    lol if your allays right why are you always asking silly question on different forums :p

12. astro77

astro77 Active Member

i only answer questions that I know the answers too that's why, and if I don't know something on a particular subject I always ask:D

13. WTPchiefSKP

WTPchiefSKP Member

Rides:
    cpi sm77
    if you have a feeling about whats right its still nice to double check :)

14. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Apparently it's just a bit of soldering on the stator and a 12v DC reg (trailtech and Wassel ones have been tried on peds with good results) that is needed for full DC...And to wire in a flasher relay as it's integrated on a 50 piaggio.

It's definitely looks worthwhile though if you've got the time/skill as it will mean your lights never go dim (and turn on with the bike), you can run alot more electrical stuff and you can get rid of your battery basically. I haven't got anywhere near as much time or skill as it needs ATM so I'll leave it for now :(

astro77 likes this.
  15. astro77

astro77 Active Member

yeah definitely a worth while mod, and it's not as hard as it sounds to do:)

16. Gizmo

Gizmo Member

Rides:
    Branson BS125
    I just got a hid kit for my scoot but realised its a h4 fitting :rolleyes: so im hoping to get rid of it but i need more posts first....

17. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    stop trying to sell it without the right post count

18. Gizmo

Gizmo Member

Rides:
    Branson BS125
    As i said i need more posts first or make a donation i have read the rules!!! I was only making on a passing comment apologies if you read it the wrong.

19. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    you maid a passing coment on a post that had no posts for since 27 November, you was hoping for ppl to pm you

20. Gizmo

Gizmo Member

Rides:
    Branson BS125
    Fair point I hadn't seen when the last post was made just saw HID and thought has anybody else tried to fit them, its clear you know me better than i know myself because you assume and accuse new members of what their intents are... as you seem to know it all is slander allowed on this forum please as if it is then I think im in the wrong forum. :-/