Help with zip 100

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Charlieboy1985, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

hi guys, I recently bought a zip 50 and the engine gave up on me. I bought a second hand 100cc engine and bolted it in. I bought a 100cc cdi aswell and it came with a carb.

The bike runs but bogs down and runs as slow as a 50 would. I'm using the airbox from the original 50 because I think they ar the same?

I'm also using the exhaust from the 50 for the same reason. Could the 50 exhaust be restricting the 100 engine? I've tried running it without the exhaust to test but it just bogs down big time. I've also tried putting more air into the airbox but still no luck.

Any help or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Running a Zip 50 atm/self.......seriously? - be looking at everything bar frame &plastics too be sure,
    Running a 100 on a 50 airbox & exhaust.....made me laugh.:).

Stevep likes this.
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Agree with him^^
    Can't be doing that.

4. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

I'm confused can you clear this up. the engine fits perfectly into the 50 frame it's only a touch longer at the back and shows no difference at all really.

so is the exhaust and airbox different from the 50 to the 100. I didn't think it would make a difference as the exhaust is designed restricted anyway (washer taken out) and I can put some holes in the 50 airbox to add more air.

5. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

the exhaust is de restricted I mean

6. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

can't do what?

7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    My bad,what I meant was taking 100 engine/electrics/exhaust/airbox and transplanting into 50 frame.
    Exhaust & airbox is kind of a no brainer.......if I can use an analogy.:- take a water tap with a flow rate of 10 gallons a minute & you need to connect a hose to it - you would'nt put a pipe on it with a flow rate of only 5 on it...would you.?.;).

8. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

see what you mean although the 50 exhaust is a 100 one with a restrictions in the top? and I've taken the restrictor out?

and I can drill holes for more air flow can't I?

everything else is 100cc as I changed the cdi. spark plug and coil etc.

I'm considering buying a 100 airbox and exhaust to see if they are the same but don't want to waste my money.

thanks for your help though it's appropriated.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Buy a 100 airbox & exhaust do it proper an not cut corner$.;)., - be a damn sight easier with your jetting as well.
    what I was trying to relate/simples...
    both exhausts are designed or configured to take into account engine size & exhaust gasses produced by the capacity it's specifically designed for.;).

10. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

thanks. yeh I'll do that it's a wicked bike small and light so with the 100 engine should be great.

cheers

11. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Tell me about it,that turning circle's gonna catch me out one day.:).,
    much jealous atm.;), - used to see the 100 version up in the City while back,had more duct taping it up than.plastics+ clock cover totaly whited out.inc a forest growing in the clocks,but he got in every morning on it,so must be saying something.
    I'd buy the complete 100/mind.:)......

12. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

hi guys I need more help. the new exhaust and airbox has helped the engine runs much better I now need to know where a couple of hoses go.

the first is on the valve cover it's a hose and I'm not sure where it goes to. I'm thinking it goes to the airbox as there is a spot for a hose but not sure.

the second hose is the secondary airbox. it's got the main big hose but there is a spot for another hose?

and the second little pipe for the airbox.

13. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

hose to somewhere

Attached Files:

14. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

valve cover hose to somewhere

Attached Files:

15. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

hose from airbox to somewhere

Attached Files:

16. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Haynes 3492,
    #1.(Valve cover),'breather hose union'.
    #2.secondary air system - believe a hose is secured to the reed valve cover.
    #3.in what position is your third tube.?.

17. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

The 3rd pic is for a small tube not sure what it goes to I think the valve cover tube goes to the airbox one?

I need to check the reed valve because one hose is already connected to it this is a second smaller hose coming from the sas.

Thanks for your help I will take more pics can tomorrow which might help.

18. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Not totally clued up on parametres of airbox assembly.on version 100 - may be 1 day,would'nt mind one as it happens,would expect though it has a drain tube ...probaly focused bottom/towards back.
    Have a look on my Zip/laters...get back to you.
    Mk.

19. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

I've got it running today but it's only hitting 25 to 30 MPH. I've set the valves correctly and carb has been cleaned but it's driving me mad. the 100 should do 45 to 50 easy but it struggled to do 30.

20. Charlieboy1985

Charlieboy1985 Member

Can anyone tell me where hose 9 connects to, the pic dosnt show.

Also how the sas can be removed?

Attached Files: