Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsMain Scooter TopicsGeneral Scooter Discussion

Help with Carb and kickstart

Discussion in General Scooter Discussion started by cornishmad, 28 Apr 2013
cornishmad#1
hi Guys,

I am new to the forum so hello all :)

I have a Sym Jet Basix 50 59reg and have a few issues which I hope someone can help me with:

1) My carb has all of a sudden started to leak petrol (Not loads) just enough to make the carb base wet, no dripping can be seen.

2) The owner before me mucked around with the two screws on the carb and no when I start her she wont idle and smells really rich?

3) The kickstart spring came loose forcing the cog to catch the main cog preventing the electric starter from turning over the engine. I took the cover off and have repositioned the spring but now if I just breath on the kickstart it flys in to the case about 1" like a gun going off??? I have removed the small kick start cog to prevent it from fouling the main cog and electric strater.

I hope someone can help with this, this is my first ever scooter so trying to learn :)

Thanks Ryan
Burridge#2
Wahey another Jet owner, we are a rare breed :O although mine lookd nothing like a Sym anymore :D

1) Take your float bowl off and replace the gasket, tighten it up tight, but not too tight as it'll shear the threads as it's only aluminium.

2) Turn the big screw all the way in (while it's running) then slowly turn it out until it starts revving high, then back in until it ticks over steadily.
Same for the other smaller screw which is the tickover jet.

More threads in General Scooter Discussion

White scooters needed for a music video shoot!5 replies29 Apr 2013
peugeot sf restrictors6 replies29 Apr 2013
Bar conversion?0 replies29 Apr 2013
my scooter/my living3 replies29 Apr 2013
Rollers ???8 replies28 Apr 2013
2 Problems!0 replies28 Apr 2013
Dead battery :(5 replies28 Apr 2013
Gilera st 200 Main Jet size.0 replies27 Apr 2013
New Project Gladiator 125cc ( Chinese )10 replies27 Apr 2013
Castrol 2t oil recall0 replies27 Apr 2013