Help please need my bike for work

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Animal09vip1, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.
    Hi my so I'm looking for some advice to help me get my bike working properly again I have just put a new sport exhaust on it as old exhaust rusted and got a hole the person who sold me the exhaust also sold me a open air filter and a box of jets my carbs jet size at standard was 83 so with the new exhaust and air filter I upjetted to a 92 main jet bike ran like crap so went down to a 90 the bike was running good for a day then wouldn't start the next I have now put a 104 main jet in starts every time but won't pull away and sounds like crap i don't no what to do so any advice[​IMG] on what main jet to run and how to set the air/fuel mix up plz thanks I've added pictures of exhaust and filter I have in the bike

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    put your old filter on , try a 93-96 jet

ok so the two screws on the side of the carb these are for idle, one is the idle screw, the other will be a idle mixture screw.
    1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle this is your slide needle , its sits inside the carbs slide and allows you to richen the mixture or lean the mixture between 1/4 throttle and 3/4 throttle.
    for wide open throttle this is where the main jet comes into play.

now you say a 104 gives you a nice smooth idle but it wont pull and it sounds kinda rough / spluttery. this would be because your running a little to much on the rich side. as a rule of thumb we would upjet by 10-15% , your 104 jet is nearly 20% extra so it needs to come down a little. i would say your going to be between 93 - 98 for the main jet.

now heres the fiddley part, install a 98 jet and try the scooter, if your finding its a bitt raggy on the throttle , remove the 98 and try a 97 or 96 jet again try the scooter see how that smaller jet feels, there will be a point where your happy with the throttle and thats your ideal jet.

next you will do a plug chop, ride the bike hard at max throttle for a couple mins then while at max throttle turn off the ignition coast to a stop and remove the plug, your looking for a certain colour on the outer ring of the sparkplug.

chocolate brown ring colour bike is running in the sweet area
    black ring colour the bike is a little to rich ( drop down one jet size)
    white'ish ring colour bike is running to lean ( go up one or two sizes in jet )

your aim is for that chocolate brown colour on the spark plug.

As for open air filters, NOT ideal in todays weather theres a lotta water about and gunk that clogs them up very quick and they are a right royal pain to get jetted correct. if you have the stock airbox put this back on and thry the jets above i mentions (93 - 98) see how that preforms

BunnyMum likes this.
  3. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.
    Thank for your reply and all the information you have provided will get out there first thing tmoz and the only air filter I have is a open one as last one got smashed and can't seem to find a stock one for it if I going to use it with the open filter will I need a bigger jet ore should I go for a 98 and work my way up ore down a few depending on spark plug

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yep buddy if you dont have a stock airbox fit the open air and jet till it feels right, start with that 104 and come down a couple sizes each time theres gonna be a point you start noticing the difference in throttle and response, always best to start high and work down in jet size .

5. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.

Ok cheers mate will let you no how I get on tmoz hopefully will all be good ore going to have to book another day off work

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    aye keep us upto date buddy a lotta heads is better than just one scratching and wondering , but yeah sounds like its a little to rich for your filter so drop down a couple from that 104 till you find that sweet area

7. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.
  8. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.
    Just Incase you was wondering this is the exhaust and the filter he told me to use with it then sold me a 90-108 size jets

9. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    he was right on the pipe and jets, but a little off on the airfilter but it should work , just go for that main jet swapping buddy , again start nice and high and drop down either one or two jet sizes each time you may bounce between two jets as one give better preformance but has a little throttle lag and the other has not so good preformance but the thottle lag ceases ;)

10. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    Even with fuel injection its honestly not worth it, You still need to stop water getting into the fuel mix. The only time a open air filter is worth it is a decent one on a properly tuned 172/183 set up that isnt daily ridden.

OP it may be worth trying to google what other bikes use the same engine, Find one thats the same engine and get a airbox for that one?

11. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.
    Ok will have a look for another air box think it's the same as a speedfighter 2 ore trekker

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Get an airbox on there, you will just have problems if not.
    What bike is it?

13. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.

It's a Peugeot metal x 100cc 2003 IMG_3071.JPG

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah same as a speedfight

15. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.
    Thought it was buy looking at pictures is the engine in it a speedfighter engine then basically because looking for parts and they all seem like the right ones

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah, speedfight, vivacity and a load more

17. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.
    Cheers mate what's the best things to upgrade after exhaust then variator and clutch springs rollers is that about all you can do

18. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    other things would be something like a 125cc bigbore , but that pipe and re-jet should open the legs a bit on the 100cc motor.

clutch springs , variator , contrast spring and weights, the variator may give a little more top end speed allowing belt a little higher travel. the contra spring , clutch springs and the rollers are more to do with how the bike picks up its power and its take off from the line ;).

never seen a metal-x gotta say i really do like that :)

scubabiker likes this.
  19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Changing the vario will give you the most noticable difference

20. Animal09vip1

Animal09vip1 Member

Rides:
    Metal x 100.
    Cheers and I love this ped never seen another one for sale ore in my are only ever seen 2 and I own both of them untill someone cut across in front of me and I smash through there window was pissed but lucky I had the other one at home for spares so manged to make a Woking bike out the 2 again