HELP carburetor repair kit! SOLVED

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Wizard2003, May 23, 2017.

1. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

2. Sam phantom

Have a read of that I replaced mine with this

3. Sam phantom

IMG_0959.PNG works a treat

4. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Probably a silly question but would a faulty choke cause the carb to flood?

I've never touched the choke before only the carb itself, usually just need to empty the carb and it starts again no probs and works ok for about 4-5 days.

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    With the carb upside down and the float bowl removed blow down the fuel pipe and check that the needle valve cuts off the air just as the flot top becomes level with the gasket face. Between the floats there's a little tab that moves the needle valve and it may need to be bent upwards slightly so that the float closes the valve sooner.

The other thing to check is that the choke isn't stuck and corroded. Remove the C-clip and pull the choke out vertically. Look inside where the choke was as it can get blocked with crud and that would prevent the choke from turning off, causing the engine to be fuel-rich and flood.

Your problem is one out of these two possibilities, so you need to check both.

6. Sam phantom

If your finding it to hard to diagnose the problem, you can get a complete carb for £25 for that scoot

Wizard2003 likes this.
  7. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Ok thanks guys. Hopefully it'll run ok tomorrow for work! And I will check it over the weekend. :)

8. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Where was that sam? I've seen them on ebay about 30-35!

9. Sam phantom

Euroscooterparts but you are correct there £35 but that includes a new auto choke and they are a 10er on there own so pretty good value really

10. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Dont know if I should just go ahead a buy a new carb. I mean it was sitting for 10 years unused!

11. Sam phantom

Was it!!! It looks clean in your picture considering!

12. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Yeah well I restored it quite a bit. Resprayed everything replaced tubes, wires etc. Didn't touch the engine as when i replaced the fuel and oil started and ran first time no problems! The problem with the carb has only started last couple of weeks.

13. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Well took it apart there and did the tests!

The float works perfectly but the choke (going by the test that gilburton i think put a lonk too) isn't moving as much as the diagram. There is a little space at the top. So could either get a manual choke or get a new auto choke.

Which is the best?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  14. Sam phantom

Just get the Manuel one the auto ones are progressive and a bit ott for a little 50cc the Manuel one is more than officiant, tbh you don't even need to use it. my bike starts first kick you may just need it in the winter but even then it's not really nessersry I had a Yamaha slider 10 years ago for about 3 years and it had a Manuel choke and I never needed to use it once

15. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

If it's not extending as far as it should that means you will be getting too much fuel as when warm it extends and closes off the extra fuel drilling.
    There are 2 types of manual choke. One is the small flick on/off which means if it's not fully warm when you ride away you'll need to stop and flick it off.
    The other is the same thing but it has a cable/knob attached so you can site it somewhere handy eg front of seat.
    Some kits come with the option of both.

16. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Ok, manual choke it is then! :p

Is there a certain one for my carb or just a general one?

17. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Go for the cabled manual choke, as the flick lever type can be awkward to get at behind the plastic panels.

18. Sam phantom

If you have the the horse shoe type fitting on the choke with two screws then the one I put a picture of earlier will fit

19. Sam phantom

20. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member