Hello from The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by 1nsane, Dec 5, 2017.

1. 1nsane

1nsane New Member

Hi!

My name is Jochem, I'm from The Netherlands and can be considered a bit of a moped/scooter grandpa being 32 yrs old.

I started riding mopeds since I was 16 yrs old and got my license certificate, had around 4 different scooters at some point, 2 Gilera Stalkers, a Peugeot Speedfight that did around 16 bhp and some other bits and bobs.

When I turned 19 yrs old, I got my drivers license for my car so I sold everything but for commuting purposes, a scooter became handy again so recently bought myself a Speedfight again.

This one is a bit of a Speedfight 1.5 . On registration it is a SF2 but the engine block and part of the covers are from a SF1.

It's an LC model and I bought it for a couple hundred Euro's and it has an overhauled engine block.

Most of the parts seemed to be new or good as new.

Unfortunately in The Netherlands, the law is quite strict on these things and for the yellow plate ones you're only allowed to have them go up to 45 km/h which I easily doubled in my sinful days ;-) but now that I really need it on a daily basis, there's no point in collecting fines and having to get the thing reassessed at the governmental road inspection and regulation company every time. Of course, it goes a bit faster than is allowed as there are margins to play with ;-)

Since I got it a couple of months back, I did some work on it though, after a while, the pulling power especially when it was warm was bad (even though it easily hit top speed if you waited long enough so the drive train was probably a bit threadbare) :

- New headlight unit (previous one had been molested by the previous owner who completely changed it so it took 2 LED bulbs that didn't even emit that much light and it looked shit)
    - New rear chock absorber as the original unit deteriorated quite rapidly in the bad weather
    - new carter cover bolts that actually look good instead of the manky old ones
    - New (original) vario, the original one was quite worn and had Malossi ram plate on it and it never is a good idea to interchange different make parts on such stuff. And yes, it has a restrictorplate
    - New kevlar belt as the old one was also quite worn
    - Lighter vario rollers, now 7.5 grams
    - New clutch and poullies as the original ones were a bit warped from what I could see and the pressures pring + clutch springs were also a bit worn down.

After that, it ran awesome again (pulls like one of the best restricted ones I ever rode on, even put a couple of unrestricted ones a shame at the traffic lights including some douche who thought he was all that with his Gianelli reverse etc) and does 60km/h on the ODO (which is around 54 km/h real ones which is still within safe police limits ;-) ).

Got some plans for it still, when summer comes, I will probably repaint the whole thing, still thinking about the colors but for now, it gets me to work the way I like :)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Welcome to the Forum.:).

3. 1nsane

1nsane New Member

And some pics of course, as you can see, the old bill already decided to put it on the bench to see if it wasn't breaking the law but it remained just within limit :)

Attached Files:

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yes, we already heard the Dutch police are killjoys with the scooters
    Shame that.
    I like the netherlands, nice looking women over there, nearly had a crash looking at one in Hertogenbosch on the way to my friends in Nuland

5. 1nsane

1nsane New Member

Yeah, it’s pretty bitchy, when I was younger you could get away with just a fine when it would do 80-100km/h but they cracked down on that pretty hard, oh well, on the other hand, smoking a jolly one is very much legal :)

In all true sense, traffic in your average Dutch city in rush hour is quite dense even compared to London so keeping the lid on it nowadays is a bit understandable (especially as you have them 16 yr olds rousting about without care on them).

In fact, in more suburb / rural areas they wont even bother pulling you over as traffic there is a lot thinner, they probably dont even have test benches out there

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Sounds very similar to here in norway.
    Ive got a bike with an open exhaust that shoots flames... couldn't get away with that in a proper city...
    Welcome!