Headlight not working - Gilera DNA 50 RST

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by TeeZer, Jan 17, 2016.

1. TeeZer

TeeZer Member

Rides:
    R1, DNA 50
    Hi,

My headlights (high and low) are not working, although the pass (high beam) works. I noticed this after starting the bike for the first time after fitting a brand new engine. When revving the bike I noticed that the headlights would flash on (dash light included) intermittently. This brought to my attention to the fact that my headlights were not actually working even though they are hard wired on, on this model. The pass light (brights) switch works fine. After staring at the wiring diagram for a while, I tested tested the wiring from the regulator to the headlight by shorting from the plug to the battery via my test meter, the lights came on fine, ruling out wiring from regulator.

Testing the regulator with the plug in, the voltages seemed to be very low, although they did go up and down when the bike was revved, but was under 1 volt. This led me to suspect the regulator, so I replaced it (with a brand new original part), but the headlights are still not working.

Now I am stumped! Has anybody got any ideas here?

Summary of tests.factors:
    1. Shorted the headlights through regulator plug to battery - lights worked - proves wiring and bulbs are fine from regulator.
    2. Tested regulator voltage with bike running - output voltage seemed suspicious - replaced with OEM regulator - still got problem.
    3. New battery in bike
    4. Bike has only done 200 miles from new
    5. Brake lights work
    6. Horn works
    Cheers,
    Tristan

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Separate light switch or always on feature? If separate check the plug is in properly, also on the high/low switch. Have had same with a runner where the plug wasn't in the switch properly, plus was dirty inside on contacts. Check for power going into the headlight relay and out to the headlights.

3. TeeZer

TeeZer Member

Rides:
    R1, DNA 50

Thanks for the reply. The lights are "always on". Where is the headlight relay? I assume I do not have one as there is no light switch and can't see it in the wiring diagram.