Gy6 starter motor earth wire ?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by 4strokelover, Apr 15, 2018.

1. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Hi all and sorry for anothet post.
    Just having problems starting bike. It is a directbikes 125 with i think a gy6 engine.
    When using the electric start the solenoid clicks and nothing else and also all the lights dim too.
    I have read that theres ment to be a earth wire going from the starter motor to the frame but not sure if my bike does.
    Could the no earth wire be my starting problem or maybe a battery issue ?

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Could be the battery if it has been on app 4yrs? Could be a bad connection or dirty terminals on the battery/starter.
    The earth is generally attached to one of the starter motor mounting bolts. It's not a starter earth they just use it for convenience.
    The engine has to be earthed as it is mounted on rubber bushes.

3. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Aah thank you. There is a earth wire going from the frame to engine (bolted between the engine and flywheel cover)
    I think it is the battery as my bike has a battery voltage indicater on the dash and its always just under half way and when i hit the starter it drops alott.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Have you had the starter motor off and tested it across the battery terminals to make sure it spins freely?

5. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    SteveP yes i have and it spins freely.
    I have tested it strate off the battery when installed on the bike aswell but seems the battery hasent got enough cranking power to spin it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018