GUIDE: Why scooters dont go 90-100mph+.

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by tErr0, Feb 20, 2011.

1. revolution

revolution Member

can completely see where tErr0 and everyone else is coming from here, he is trying to prove the point that people saying that their ROAD GOING bikes doing 100mph+ are talking complete and utter nonsence, sprinters and race bikes are completely irrelevant here because they are designed and modified to high standards in order to be the fastest, they dont simply bolt on readily available tuning parts such as a bore and pipe and do 100 mph- as many state their bikes do

2. Sketchytom

Sketchytom Roach

Rides:
    Rally 50 you get me
    100 mph scoot is a dreamland thing

front panels on scooters are like parachutes

and the guy saying about the 50cc motorbikes doing a 100mph, that may be true but that has no place at all in this discussion as it is on about scooters

all you have to do is look at a ped and you can see that its not only the front panel but also behind the front wheel it dont flow air smooth

3. bones

bones Member

Rides:
    sym jet 50/172
    but its not all about power though think of gearing for instance my old square nova with a standerd 2.0 16v cavvy engine on a f16 gearbox will sit on the arse end of a porche carrera until 136mph on 15" wheels and digi clocks but with a f20 or f28 fitted it will take longer to get there but will pull a good 147 on a f20 and 160 n a f28 with 16" wheels on digi clocks nout done to the engine just the gearing changed and wheels

4. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

It's about time someone actually read it all and took it in. It's also the way you ride a sprint bike too. :) You sure as hell aren't sitting upright!

5. revolution

revolution Member

yeah was suckered a few times into buying bikes with claims of silly speeds until i done the research and realised it was all a load of pony, wind resistance is as big a factor of speed as power, something pushing the mass back in the other direction is going to reduce overall speed, hence why drag/sprint riders streamline their bodies in a more horizontal position, easier for the air to move over them as opposed to pushing against something large and rigid which it cannot pass as easily over, i.e bike panels!

6. tErr0

It's funny to me how a larger increase in top speed can be obtained by fitting a big screen than fitting some performance parts.

Lots of people have tried to pick apart the information but if they actually read it says the figures are more of a guestimate. It's just to make people think and the title to draw you in.

7. revolution

revolution Member

didnt even think of that tbh, next thing on my shopping list ;) and yeah the figures are one of the things i stumbled on in my research before and showed exactly the similarities between the power needed for the speed and the affect that resistance can have on them, the faster you go the harder its pushing is how i remember it

8. HexLec

HexLec New Member

To put it simple .Unless you have a DEATH WISH.. who in their right mind wants to go any faster than 65ish let alone 80mph on a Scooter ' 50cc and 125cc Scooter's were never designed to reach them speeds ,

9. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    I have a permanent death wish. I don't go to death. It comes to me. But I'll be happy with 70.

10. tErr0

I agree mostly. Apart from the few odd bikes that probably are capable of doing the speeds safely with no upgrades needed. Not that any of these are generally tuned. :p

Doing one speed on a bike that isn't really made for it and doing it on a bike that is are two TOTALLY different things. Although I am always one for if you are upgrading the engine you sure as fuck better be upgrading everything else that goes along with it and also starting with a half capable bike in the first place.

11. FiddyRox

FiddyRox Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Aerox, CRF450, YZ125
    The amount of twats round here that will save up for a 70cc kit and then ride around on 1mm thick brake discs and leaking fork seals is stupid.

60 is fine for me on my aerox haha, gets pretty windy!

12. 172NRG ASH

172NRG ASH build it, ride it, break it, start it again......

Rides:
    nrg172cc,,runner70cc
    shiny reds 183cc runner hit 101mph down quarter mile with i think 25bhp :D

13. UnluckyChris

UnluckyChris Member

My Dragster gets close enough to 100mph to tickle its testicles, but I don't know what would need doing to actually get there, and it feels dangerous as fuck. Generally when I'm riding it my bottle runs out before the power does so it's plenty for me.

Tested it once on local airstrip recently with GPS and it tops out at 95mph. On normal roads I daren't take the speedo past about 85 anyway, just feels way too unstable for my liking. It's good fun getting there though, brilliant acceleration that still always puts a smile on my face. It's cost a lot of cash to get my engine where it is now, and I did hope for more power tbh, it read 26bhp on a dyno.

172NRG ASH likes this.
  14. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Im pretty sure the Silverwing and Burgman Exec are both capable of speeds in excess of 100mph.

This guide should have something about it being aimed at the bikes that are 250cc or less, with emphasis on the 50-125cc bikes. A 600cc or 650cc bike can and will go beyond 100mph, and their are multiple youtube videos to prove it (plus an array of websites that have tested it using GPS).

15. Fizzy

Fizzy Who needs L-plates...

Rides:
    2010 Jog RR
    I thought it was?

16. tErr0

I thought it was pretty self explanatory based on the bhp's and what the aerodynamics were done from. A 500, 600, 800 cc scooter generally has bhp at the levels and above what is in the guide so yes they can do speeds of 100+. They generally are much larger bikes that are more aerodynamic as they are designed for motorway cruising so technically depending on the model they will be able to do it with less bhp than what the guide states.

I know for a fact however that my 300cc scooter without a screen would be lucky to hit 90 let alone 100. It's got more like an 80mph top speed without a screen which is about right as per the guide as it's also a slightly more aerodynamic than the guide.

17. FiddyRox

FiddyRox Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Aerox, CRF450, YZ125
    I have always found that putting my head right down will get me alot more top speed, but often this is just because the improved aerodynamics is letting the bike rev into its powerband properly (rollers slightly too heavy).

18. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    I should have said i do get the OPs point about when you hit 60mph its like a brick wall. Blasting over to Plymouth last year heading down the dual carriageway to Liskeard was the first time i hit 60+, and it was unstable and somewhat scary. Even more scary was getting overtaken by other vehicles going faster.

Yes i know its aimed at the 50 crowd, i should have read it all before posting. :)

Next weeks task is to order a cheap windshield. Not for the speed thing, but because i hate getting drenched when it rains. Also maybe one of those lap covers, but we'll see. If it improves the commute it may be worth it.

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

haha reading through some of these comments has made my night... urgh some people should have stayed in the gene pool... we had a program at uni that you could put weight, power co-efficient of drag, frontal area etc into, and it would come out with a quarter mile figure, only worked for manula gearboxes tho as it took into consideration gear ratios and final drive ratio (although final drive i guess you can work out by counting the teeth on your gears)

20. Callum Coles

Callum Coles 2003 Piaggio Zip Sp

Rides:
    2003 Piaggio zip sp
    Pedparts have had a aerox with 70s kit hit 85mph on there Cynon so can be done obviously drag and shit weren't in place but shows they can do it I know the kid who's bike it was myself