Gilera runner sp 50 electrical nightmare

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by luke.russell.771, May 10, 2016.

1. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Right i bought a gilera runner sp50 couple weeks back as a project. its a 55 plate that has been on the road for about 18 months due to a cat c back in 07. Been sat in mates garden ever since, ive stripped it down and got it running nicely but no power is getting to clocks, indicators or electric start ive even replaced wiring loom as i thought it could be correded and broken but still the same i dont think it could be an earthing problem as ive cleaned all the earth point the 1 on frame and one on the starter motor please help me get some power lol thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Clocks, indicators, brake lights and starters all work from the battery. You need to follow the red wire from the battery through the master fuse and on up to the ignition switch. You need to be sure that 12v is reaching the ignition switch and that it comes out of the other live wire when the ignition is switched on. My guess is that a wire has come loose from the ignition switch or a multi-block connector is making an iffy connection somewhere. A simple 12v bulb and some wires could help you trace the live feed to the ignition.

3. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Ahh im thinking ignition switch then as its the only part i havmt replaced as ive brought a replacment wiring loom and that would remove the chance of a broken wire shouldnt it i just if the ignition is not working my horn wont work when it is switched on would it ?

4. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

I quess* not i just lol

5. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Any idea what wire does what on ignition got a thick white one thick orange and blue one and two thin wires 1 green and 1 black to the ignition switch

6. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Right where should i be earthing the bulb when testing as it seems the blue and black wire is a contant live but the thick white wire is not both light up the bulb when connected to one of the earth wires but both one at ignition off and one at ignition on sorry if im confusing people i really dont understand electrics lol

7. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    *Checks Gilera workshop manual in his library of manuals*

OK, it appears that red is 12v into the ignition switch and white is 12v out. White should only become live with the ignition turned on. The white wire goes to the fusebox, so check your fuses as they could be blown. Red and white from the fuse box feeds the clocks and also goes to the push button of the horn. My guess is that the fuse that feeds the red and whiote wire from the fusebox has blown.

8. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Only have 1 fuse in the bike and ive replaced this to double check if it was a bad fuse tried about 5 to eliminate pure bad luck ill post a pick up of my wiring is that manual for the new shape or the old shape merlin mines the new shape

9. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

[​IMG]
    These are the 4 wires going to ignition switch ive sussed that i have power going through the blue and black wire all the time will light bulb with no ignition grounded to the frame for an earth and white wire will power the bulb with ignition on with same earth to the frame am i missing something as as far as i know i have everything for the indicators to at least work and brake light lol

10. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The blue and brown goes to the brake light switches on the diagrams I have and also the low oil warning light, so is most likely the live feed from the battery. Black is earth, white goes to the fusebox as 12v live return (switched on and off by the ignition), green goes to the alternator and CDI. Does that match up with your wiring loom? Green and black should short out with ignition off and that's how it cuts the engine out, by taking the alternator voltage to earth. If the white wire feeds the fusebox on your bike then the blue/brown wire is 12v live into the switch.

11. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Matches up with wiring loom other than the blue and black wire is blue and orange and gilera likes to change the colout of the wiring a lot between the differnt years lol

12. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Yhyh with ignition on white wire lights bulb up with ignition off black and blue lights bulb is this as it should work or is it wrong ?

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    with the ignition on, do the black/blue and white wires connect together? In other words, wiring the bulb through both wires, does the key turn the bulb on and off?

14. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

So basically join the blue/black wire and white wire together connect to bulb and earth from frame and see if ignition switches bulb on and off ?

15. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Got me a multi meter now tested battery would 12.2 volts be enough to at least power the indicators brake light etc and im getting power coming in to the switch and 12v coming out also recieving 12v at the fuse but no matter what switch i put multi meter on i recieve no power to it is this right ?

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    No. You want 12v going into the blue/black wire and the bulb on the white wire and earther against the frame. Ignition on should light the bulb, ignition off should turn it off. If it works like that then those are the live wires. Blue/black to the battery +ve through the wiring loom and white going to the fusebox or touching the -ve terminal. Take the battery off the bike to make things easier to try this if you want and just use + and - direct from the battery.

Now try the same with the green and black wires, with green connected to 12v coming from the battery and black to earth/battery -ve. Ignition off should light the bulb, ignition on should turn it off. Black is earth and green should go to the CDI unit and alternator.

By doing this you are checking that the ignition switch that you have follows Gilera wiring practice, even if the colours of the sires don't match exactly.

17. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Just a quick question ive done a continutity test from an idicator earth wire to postive lead on the starter motor and its saying its unbroken does this mean im shorting out at the positve terminal from the starter motor merlin ??

18. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Take a live wire directly from the battery + to the starter motor terminal, that should make the starter motor turn over. You are by-passing the starter relay, so if the starter motor works, we can work backwards from there.

What I think is missing is the live from the brake light switches that engages the starter relay, but let's see where this leads us.

19. luke.russell.771

luke.russell.771 Member

Will the existing earth still work just a positive wire to battery or earth off frame again ?

20. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Just take a fresh positive wire (colour doesn't matter) from battery + and as soon as you touch the starter motor terminal it should spin up. It earths through the motor body and mounting bolts, you may find a little earth strap there on one of the bolts from the loom.