Gilera Runner: Screaming noise

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by cjrunner1, Feb 22, 2010.

1. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

I was driving my bike down a road then my ped suddenly dropped revs! and starting making a high pitched screaming so i pulled over pushed home, and someone said could be variator bolt has come lose so i tightened it today and went off for about 200m and it has done to same thing. Anyone know what this could be, Clutch, worn piston, i really don't know so im gonna try to sort it out tomoz. i haven't checked if it has come lose again will check tomoz

And also when starting after the noise it makes a chunking noise like somethings lose and when revs it makes the high pitched noise

Cheers

2. hogesar

hogesar New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon 50
    Get the side casing off and have a proper look.

On my Neo's the plate at the back behind the variator (stator i think) came loose from its position and made that kind of noise because rotating at high RPMS meant it started cutting into itself and the crank...not good!

3. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

So Would i need a new crank if this has happened ? Could this happen if a varitor slide is missing

4. hogesar

hogesar New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon 50
    not if its only just happened. Everything on mine came quite loose so the splines on the crank were very worn and unrecoverable.

- If everythings not sitting flush, you have to remember things are rotating very quick so if youre missing something and its made it loose then yes.

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    itl be a bearing somwhere... ether on the clutch/imput shaft or the waterpump... as advised get the tranny cover off and check everything, turn/try to push in/out all the shafts... the clutch will have some side play in it as it is supported by a bearing in the cover, this could also be at fault....just look/listen for rubbing/noise from bearings/pulleys/the pump... the pump is hard to tell wihtout whipping the oil pump out and spinning it by hand. even then you need to know what your looking for.... saying that it could still be somthing else, like a stone in the mag cover or somthing.. ether way its somthing spinning..

6. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

Cheers minor will have a look tomoz, the noise is so loud screeching, and to add my bike at the time was only going 30 running so shit,,