Gilera runner 50 ignition barrel broken

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by MrSkeedle, Feb 21, 2018.

1. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You have to drop the forks out, then push it out the front of the tube.

2. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

well bugger. looks like it's not going to be easy haha. thanks for the help. I'll get back to you when I manage to get around to it. hopefully sometime this weekend. one thing though if I do have to go that far, I may attempt to fix the steering lock as right now it just goes into lock and you can basically just push the handlebars like the lock isn't there. very little resistance, you can feel it is in, probably snapped I guess. not sure how they work. ill have a look in the haynes. cheers again

3. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Hi, i just wanted to draw a colclusion to this post if anybody came across it in the future. First of all i have now managed to entirely fix the problem. I actually did it without having to buy a single thing, although it did require some tools including a welder. The first thing i did was weld the washer thing i was on about to the metal spacer (the bit that the key goes into on one side and the ignition switch on the other side)

once that was welded and cleaned i had to slide it into the barrel on the bike and weld it closed, since it had snapped off. I had to do alot of cleaning inside the barrel to get it smooth enough for the key to turn easily, and once that was done it was as simple as clipping the ignition switch on the back of the barrel and then slotting the key barrel into the barrel and pushing the clip through the gap in the top of the barrel, then through the gap between the washer and metal spacer, then into the key barrel. little confusing but i dont know all of the names sorry. But its now back together and seems to be working perfect, although the steering lock isnt so functional anymore, probably because the thieves have bent the steering column where the lock slots in. thats a bit of a shame but i guess i needed to lock it up wherever i go anyways! Got an alarm too now haha.

thanks again guys and if anyone is reading this and needs any more questions, send us an email 34nigeldejong@gmail.com

there is so little information on this subject i feel it was best to write this and offer my help to anyone else :)

CGC likes this.
  4. kuhni

kuhni New Member

Hi all,

I own a piaggio typhoon 50 and have had the joy of some would be thieves taking off the ignition switch and damaging that steering lock barrel (washer split off the end).

To get that thing out it was mentioned to "drop the forks". Can anyone give me a basic run-through of what that means?