Gilera runner 50 ignition barrel broken

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by MrSkeedle, Feb 21, 2018.

1. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

My gilera runner 50 was almost stolen the other day by a group of 5 scroats right outside of subway in a large car park in plain sight! I got back to my bike and noticed the barrel had been all bent and the panel had been ripped off the front to get to the ignition. Someone managed to help me out and rip the ignition apart and get the bike started to get it home as i could not get my key into the barrel. I got it home and bent the barrel back but im really struggling to get it back together. There are quite a few parts to it and im not sure if i have something missing. The pictures below show what i have and the actual problem i am having is that i cannot get the actual part the key goes into to stay in place, it just falls out. So it is operational but the key barrel thing is just loose. The only thing that actually looks broken is one of the little tabs from the bit the key goes into has broken off and is visible in the thing it goes into in image 3, but i dont think this should affect anything as there are 2 tabs. thanks for any help 20180221_171418.jpg 20180221_171440.jpg 20180221_171451.jpg 20180221_171429.jpg

Attached Files:

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    3rd picture down look's to be broken, there is a wire clip that fit's in to hold ignition barrel, I'm sure I've got one so I'll have a look to make sure. You will have to drop the forks out to fit it !!

3. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

ah okay, what part is it that looks broken? i see the little trianglular part stuck in but i gathered it shouldnt make too much of a difference since there is still one of them left on the part the key goes into. thanks

4. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

here are some more pics 20180221_174401.jpg 20180221_174351.jpg

Attached Files:

5. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

i believe there is a clip that holds it on but what does the clip actually go onto on the barrel thing? there is nothing for it to slot into?

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    There is a slim groove were the clip fit's, I can't get the block until tomorrow so you'll have to bare with me until tomorrow evening, you'll see what I mean when you see it..

7. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

ah okay. thanks very much for the help.

are you saying the clip fits into this groove? Screenshot_3.png

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Yes and a groove in the steering lock block !

9. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

ah right okay. im just so confused as that part that i show with the arrows isnt aligned with the notched out part in the outer barrel when it is pushed in.

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

As Marsh said, there are two spring clips that hold the ignition in place.
    One at the back which is dead easy to fit, that holds the big green/black block in place, the other is to hold the ignition barrel in place (the ignition key part) which is a complete bitch to fit.
    If you haven't got that skinny spring clip anymore, then you will struggle to hold the key part in place, I don't think they are readily available, but I have used skinny split pins in the past to retain the barrel with mixed success.
    To get that skinny clip in you have to push the key barrel backwards (as if opening the fuel filler door) and the slot will show up through the big cutout in the housing.

11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I haven't found the block yet, in the 3rd pic there should be a slim groove on the block, like a washer spot welded on, this groove locates with the groove on key barrel !

12. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

i think i know what you mean. i got it back together i think now i found a clip whiles looking further and ive got it back to the point where its like 75% working. just sometimes the key doesnt catch and it just spins instead of turning the ignition.

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I can't find my block but found this on the Bay, you'll see what I mean when you see it. .142697326767.

14. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

hi, no worries. managed to get it back together, not perfect as the basterds broke the steering lock, but the ignition is functional now! got an alarm on it and chaining it up everywhere! it fell apart again the other day but i think that was my fault as i was tinkering around with it pulling and tugging at it. Should be able to get it back together again though. thanks again

15. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

just a quick question though, do you see that washer thing on the ebay item. is that stuck to the metal block thing? mine is just loose and it was a pain to get all back together

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Washer thing?
    If you mean the thing that goes into that slot, thats the spring clip that holds the key barrel in place.
    It's not stuck into the steering lock block, it's supposed to be able to come out, you couldn't remove the key barrel without taking that out.

Here you go, pedparts are stocking the clips now
    This is the clip for the rear part, the big green bit:
    http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/417/genuine-piaggio-ignition-barrel-lock-clip

And this is the clip that holds the key barrel in place:
    http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/3390/ignition-steering-lock-barrel-clip--piaggio

17. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

hi. I'm talking about the round washer looking thing on the front of this metal block. on the picture it looks attached whereas on mine it is loose. should it be tack welded to it? 20180308_221941.png

18. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Yes, this is spot welded to the block and holds the little horse shoe clip in place.

19. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

now that makes sense. mine has fallen off so it is loose. wonder if I can weld it on as I only have large rods for the stick welded and thick ish wire for the mig welder.

20. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

hi. also wondering how you get the block out. it's stuck in for me. only way I got it out last time was snap the thing the block goes into since it was already pretty much snapped from the thieves. I welded it all up nice now, don't want to have to rip it all apart again. cheers again