gilera runner 172 25ml carb set up help

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by sr125, Jan 7, 2011.

1. sr125

sr125 New Member

i have just bought a 25ml dellorto for my runner 172 but the carb hasn't got the pipes for vacume or 2 stroke
    what can i do also what jets would yous advice my bike will have malossi 172 kit,malossi reeds, malossi belt,malossi variator, malossi gear up kit ,pm inlet and pm clutch bell, stage 6 open filter, and a scorpion exhaust
    any help would be
    greatly appreciated cheers

2. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    I swear Runers have the vacum feed is off the inlet manifold ?
    If it aint then just drill one into the carb or manifold. Same goes for the oil , drill a inlet in the carb if you have to, or just run premix would be easier.

I'm not too good with jetting as i normally trial and error sort of do it , but at a guess i say about 100

here http://www.scootershack.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13557&p=197353#p197353 read that

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    spent enough money with pm tuning, id think they would be more than happy to help you set the parts up they just sold you... :confused:

drill your carb and install the fuel tap nipple where it should be, again, should have orderd one with the fittings. the runner has a crankcase feed nipple, this has positive and negative pressure depending on what stroke the crank is in... in other words, it sucks and blows, this kills fuel taps real quick. the vac on the carb (as its the other side of the reedblock) only gets negative pressure (vacuum) it just gets stronger or softer with how much air go's through the carb.

your only getting this as im bored and cant sleep. jetting on a 25mm carb is pritymuch spot on if you buy a malossi/GILERA fitment (ie rough jetted and with all the pipe fittings you need) you were obviously incorrectly sold this carb (or just picked the cheapest one thinking there all the same) well, your gonna spend some more money on jets. if you buy direct from a dell dealer there 70 quid with ANY jet/needle/slide you want...

but ye.. ROUGHLY on a wc is around the 100/102 on the main jet, around a 50 on the pilot, 40 or 30 slide... cant remember the atomiser/needle that comes with the malossi carb but its usually top or second to top clip..

i cant stress how much this annoys me, as you CAN NOT jet a bike over the net, you CAN NOT benchmark a "race" engine the way you can with a stock engine... too many variables stressed too finely for ANYONE to back to back build tunned engines with identical jetting and them all be right. trying is just futile... fact is you should KNOW how the carb works befor you go bolting them on/fucking about.. there more complicated than the engine, they take fine tunning for your engine to even last long enough to rag... the guides are there for a reason, learning... we take time to write guides to cover annoying questions like this. bottom line, dont fuck with things you dont understand, have the people you buy stuff from EXPLAIN how it works/how to use it (common sence) and if your going to go to the effort of tunning a bike in your shed and your gonna spend all that dogh dont cheap out at the last hurdle and start scratching about for free help on the internet... people tune bikes for a living.. some for fun, some of us come on here to genuinely help people with out of the ordinary problems or "dark art" mysterys/myths surrounding tunning, or tunning practice... people do NOT come on forums to do work your retailer/mechanic should do for free... everyone is entitled to ask, but if youve read more than ten posts on this forum you would have read a post with me going on about jetting some aerox for a filter and seen a million explinations of why jetting a bike as per a forum guestimation just doesent work... if however you havent read 10 posts then why are you posting asking for help? ether way, your plain ignoring requests by the OWNERS of the forum to not do something, not sheerly out of any kind of personal annoyance, but more so the forum isnt just full of "how do i jet ma biek blud" posts...

guides, or bring it down to be setup.... OR bug pm like you should be. fact is they sold you a load of bits you have fuck all idea how to use, for a road bike, yet will just say "nah we just sell race parts, no warenty and you should know how to use them, or pay for a setup" now, there the people selling you the parts (as in, making money of your custom) now why should any of us help you jet your bike for free? its not like the information isnt just HERE for you to look about and find yourself

sorry for any bad feelings in the above, i ment none of it in a malicious way, mearly an informative snippit for everybody that hopefully reads this BLOODY PLEA TO STOP ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT FUCKING JETTING AND READ THE GUIDES, IF YOU HAVE NO LUCK FIND A SCOOTER TUNNER AND PAY THEM