Gilera Ice 172

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by pattyph172, Feb 22, 2020.

1. pattyph172

pattyph172 New Member

Hi All,

Currently finishing my Gilera ice 172 that I built years ago and neglected after I got a car and now have been stopped by an issue with the electrics.

Im getting a very low reading from the wires with a multimeter but if I pull the brake lever in all of the lights etc start to work (The brake lever isn't connected to the loom) and now I have removed the brake lever completely Its not working again. I'm guessing the lever was acting as a ground.

Does the CDI unit need to be mounted the frame or does it not matter?
    Also how many ground points are on a typhoon 125 loom? I only see the one at the front of the loom and the one from the starter motor.

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. pattyph172

pattyph172 New Member

More recent photo of the bike

C18F9F7B-EBEF-4F8D-86D3-66A827BC6623.jpg

3. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Hello mate, I don't know the answer to your questions myself (but I'm sure someone else will), just wanted to say that looks good, you done a great job, I do like that frame too. Wanted to ask what pipe you running there?

4. pattyph172

pattyph172 New Member

Cheers mate. Sorry I actually don't know what brand the exhaust is as it was brought years ago and there's no brand markings on it but if I find out ill be sure to let you know.

milo2025 likes this.
  5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You've put the engine on the 50 engine mount !

6. pattyph172

pattyph172 New Member

Correct, no rattles or vibration, engine is centred in the frame and rides spot on!

Other than that should i be concerned about anything else?

7. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    It will vibrate that's why Piaggio fitted the silent block !

8. pattyph172

pattyph172 New Member

So far no vibrations but it might be because my engine mount has rubber bushes on it on the frame side.

9. pattyph172

pattyph172 New Member

Neglected the build but I have started this week and have realised the indicators don't flash, any ideas?

10. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hello.im doing a rebuild on mine and my cdi was hanging off but it has a metal bracket which acts as it's earth (3 pin).i never run mine as i bought it as a non runner with no kick start or electric start working.there are cdi units with 4 pins and one is a separate earth.other pins go to pick up,stator and switch for cut out(via earth).i believe the 125 has 4 pins so you will have to wire it's earth to the frame and treat the remaining 3 wires as if it was a 5occ version.ped parts blog has a diagram.as for brake switches...they send a connection to 12v that switches the relay and the ignition system via the starter button.they are not connected to earth as far as i have worked out so Any issue you maybe having with anything else when the brake levers are operated could be a wrong connection but they have to tiny spades so unlikely.the indicator fault sounds like a separate issue to the other stuff so check the voltage into the switch and out to the relay and bulbs.treat each issue separate or your gonna get confused with whats happening.

11. pattyph172

pattyph172 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I have now fixed the issue and come across another,

The engine doesn't turn off when the key is turned off, the electrics turn off but engine doesn't.

someone said it could be the auto choke wires, if so what do I need to do to them?

thanks in advance.

12. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    You haven't got a switched wire to earth for the stopping.sounds like your wiring is in a bit of a mess.aint hard to fix if you know what's what.ide say you ain't got a switch with a shorting out or earth break for the coil.you could wire one tempory but you should be carefull it disconnects the ignition system and not just stop the engine as if some one starts it and if don't need a key you could lose ya ped.

13. pattyph172

pattyph172 New Member

oh this post lol, thanks for the help anyway, I’m more of a visual learner so these forums aint the best way for me to take in information lol

14. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    No worries. I'm a bit of a look at it and learn type myself. I know what I mean but can't explain it simply. As long as you got Steve p and a few others on here that explain better you'll be OK. Hopefully I won't have too many issues with mine too. Bought it as a Non runner. Oops. Was a mess but I had big intentions till I got a few head problems. All getting together now so haVe to throw some bits on it and take bits off till its done.always hard knowing what to start on first.