Gilera dna 125

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Ellismit101, May 13, 2017.

1. Ellismit101

Ellismit101 New Member

Are these kind of bikes any reliable i have a firefox 50cc and going up a hill witch its a 40 speed limit ans I'm doing 25mph so thinking of getting something more powefull

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

No more than any other used scooter.
    Originally they were 2 stroke and the later ones were 4 stroke.
    Get one as standard as you can with no damage. Like all sporty scooters they get tampered with so unless you know what has been done to it and it is running well go for standard as possible.
    Plenty of spares available for them. It uses the Gilera Runner engine which is Piaggio.

If you are going up to a 125 try and get a good make/model as they are more likely to give more power than the far eastern makes.
    Having said that most 4 strokes are not pocket rockets lol

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. Petey

Petey Member

Dna are two heavy for the engines fitted in, my opinion iv had one.. iv got gilera runner vxr 200 old shape now and wouldn't knock it one bit recommend it to any one wanting a nippy twist and go.. if it's a 125 your after go for a runner or Vespa, depend on retro look (Vespa) or some what sport (gilera runner) get the 125 and put a 210 head on it, that's power there.. and my opinion 4t over the 2t because 4t take more of a beating long oil changes are regularly done, two stroke scream and tend to heat up quick and blow rings iv had the 2 stroke an Yamaha aerox 70 built my self and for everyday use I wouldn't recommend a 2t

Kia Robb likes this.
  4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    leave the DNA , and look for a leader motor scooter. vespa are sweet but sometimes not cheap ..... runner your gonna be hard pushed by they like golddust now as they are a popular tuner upper.

i was toying with the idea of a Aerox 50cc , dropping the motor and shoving a yamaha Nmax lump into it. yamaha did a 125cc and 150cc version of the aerox BUT they were only for the asian market not the europe markets , the 125cc and 150cc aerox's used the yamaha Nmax motors . its a shame they didnt bring the 125cc aerox to the europe market it would have been a full on showroom floor filler

5. Petey

Petey Member

I am a fan of aerox looks, but only think I hated on mine was the riding position as to only a single seat wear tank cap is behind you, do up nice and cheap on parts, they done the 100cc witch can go to a 172 if I remember rightly.. I changed every think on mine lol was first moped at 16 lol ricer there a pic of it.. and there Dna

4t leader, should oil leak from valve cover obviously not.. the gasket probably gone but does it mean a valve or something has gone?

Attached Files:

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Back on subject the guy asked if they were reliable and the answer is yes with the proviso you get one that hasn't been messed around with.
    Have you got the chance of getting one and if so what model/year is it 2t or 4t ?
    The 4 stroke engines have been used in other Piaggio/vespa scooters so basically any Piaggio/Vespa 125 will be reliable also anything from the big Jap makers.
    Let us know what you are thinking of when you find something but if buying used look for signs of damage/scrapes and any signs of tampering with the engine. With the exception of an aftermarket exhaust steer clear of any engine mods.

7. Kia Robb

Kia Robb New Member

125cc 4 stroke runner and put 210 head on it wot else will I need

8. Kia Robb

Kia Robb New Member

Is that right 125cc 4t and 210 head anything else please reply ASAP thank you

9. SRS808

SRS808 Member

Tuning a 4 stroke in my opinion is a waste of time. 2 strokes have huge power gains from tuning. 4 stroke outside of going for bigger displacement or better cam(s) or port and polishing theres not much point.

But as you said you want it reliable, 4 stroke is perfect. Bullet proof as long as you keep up with maintenance. I'd leave it be as you are likely to make it less reliable for not much if any power gain.