Gilera 180 variator

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Dave1211, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Dave1211

Dave1211 New Member

hi can anyone advise which is the best variator to improve acceleration and or top speed i.e. Polini molossi pm tuning etc or should I just drop roller weights by a gram and also what will happen if I fit a tighter torque spring i.e. Plus 10% thanks in advance

2. Dave1211

Dave1211 New Member

It's a 2 stroke by the way

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    torque spring gives you a better roll off - roll onto throttle, like for hill climbs and downshifting into the lower ratio.

depending on your roller weights now ? .......... if we dont already know what weight rollers are fitted we tend to pop them out and weigh them 180cc you tend to find they are around the 8g or more mark. coming down to a 7g will allow motor to peak rpm lower in the range so your shifting the rpm down ie the rpm comes on a lot quicker lower down on throttle due to the lesser mass of weight and the variator not having to throw huge weight out to get the belt to start to ride up on the front fixed half pulley.

roller tuning is the fine art of transmission tuning, so you may wish to look at say 7.5g rollers and 7g rollers depending on teh roller weight you already have ( ie if you found 8g fitted you could grab 7g and 7.5g with intention to try both sets to see and feel the change )

you can also mix weights to ie 7g - 7.5g - 7g -7.5g - 7g - 7.5g , or even 7g - 8g -7g -8g and so on
    the rollers MUST be staggered like above, so if in one slot you put a 7g the slot beside must have an 8g . if you put all the lighter weighs together and all the ehavys together you run the risk of damaging the crank - or even blowing out the variator.

hope that helps dave

4. Dave1211

Dave1211 New Member

The standard rollers are 15.5 gr isn't 7 a bit low

5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I personally would use the std 180 variator and play with roller weights/clutch springs. Use std rollers and drill to lighten them, malossi wear out very quick being made out of chocolate!

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yes dave 7g would be to light i used the weights above as a analogy . for your setup i would drop to say 14.5g maybe 14g that give you a bit more pep lower down