Fuel Filter - should there be condensation inside?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Junk-man, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Hi everyone, my fuel filter has condensation in it - should I be concerned? It doesn't look too dirty in there but should I flush it out / dry it out maybe? Currently trying to figure out an intermittent-running problem.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    being cheap i would replace fuel filter ;)

means its one less area of research on your fault finding , and water in the carb can cause running problems , so check carb float bowl for any water ( drain the float bowl into a clear container so you can inspect that fuel and anything else that comes out.

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

This type of filter is disposable. Plenty of universal ones on ebay etc. You may have water in the fuel or condensation because you don't use it often?

4. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Hmm, I only don't use it often because it's not working! So maybe the condensation happened while it's been standing. I just drained the float bowl anyway, only seemed to be fuel coming out. Hard to tell though, if there was water would it separate in the container like if it was in oil?

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Yes it will separate but I suspect it's just condensation rather than water in the fuel. If it's been standing for a long time it wouldn't hurt to drain the old fuel anyway and after fitting a new filter just put new fuel in the tank.
    You can keep the old fuel for cleaning purposes.

6. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Thanks, the old fuel has already been drained just to be on the safe side. I put new fuel in today, I have fuel to the carb and the bike starts with a spray of starter fluid then dies again. Looks like I have to clean the carb (2 months after a garage supposedly did it - wont be going there again)

7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Sometimes it takes a few attempts at cleaning as dirt can be dislodged by that very cleaning and it doesn't take much to block a jet.