First time vinal wraping lol

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by Scooter-Noob, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
  2. Todi-Corsa

Todi-Corsa 4 stroke thumper

ever thought about carbon dipping? more realistic than the 3D stuff made by 3M and no getting ittitated by bubbles and creases you get with vinyl

heres a link to a place that does it...... worth a look :)

http://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/carbon-dipping-2

3. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    mm i had seen that stuff but it looks like a pain in the ass to do and it you get it wrong you have to sand and paint the panels?

vinyl just heat guns off

4. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    o_O i just found sticker bomb when looking for wrap and i ordered 4 sheets :cool:

Todi-Corsa likes this.
  5. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

i got the wrap for my car bonnet failed so bad on putting it on its not as simple as it looks on youtube mate

Todi-Corsa likes this.
  6. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    i dont expect it to be easy that way i got 3 sheets to do one panel.
    but what the sticker bomb sheets you dont have to do the panel in one, you can cut them up and do multiple layers

;)

7. murerg

murerg MBK Hero!!!

Plenty of heat and gentle stretch of the vinyl. As long as you mainly have a flat area to cover it s not that hard. I ve done it before on edgy parts and just gave up as its near impossible to do it perfectly but flat...ish panels were a doddle!

For all the hassle you are nearly as good just using carbon fibre/resin or even make your own carbon parts.

Todi-Corsa likes this.
  8. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    well your 100% spot on, the bike was in mums garage in a 1000 bits. i had the panel shape in my head and ordered the vinyl to do it, but when i went to do some stuff today i dont think i will be doing it as the panel is nothing like what i was thinking.

what i may do is paint the panel white and just vinyl the bottom half as i am using a sticker bomb type vinyl and not just a solid color

9. murerg

murerg MBK Hero!!!

Share some pics once you get started! ;)

10. TalkToShank

TalkToShank Life is short... so Grip it and Rip it!

get some pics up when your done ;) i was going to vinyl wrap my front panel as its mainly flat but im undecided at the moment...

11. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    i never did it, but way give it a go now i have a weeks off

12. InsaneONE

InsaneONE Active Member

Rides:
    aprilia SR 125
    I do this for a living if you can get your bikes to me I can do it for ya but im in portsmouth lol.
    best tip is to take your time and make sure you have a good de greacer and a good soft felt applicator apply heat in small doses and not to close as vinyl will melt or dis color. Make sure the panels are dust free best thing for this are tac rags witch are used for spraying. If you need any custom made vinyls/stickers let me know.

TalkToShank likes this.
  13. Ryan Brown

Ryan Brown Member

best way to carbon wrap is with an hairdryer dont use a heat gun, for big areas like bonnets and stuff we used ice scrapers for your windscreen lol so if your doing a small area use your finger or a credit card thats good aswell

14. typhoon1234

typhoon1234 Member

Hey if im thinking of doing mine to...so if u do it then do post an update on how easy it was.

15. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    i never bothered doing it. i have the stuff to do it just never did.

but on a bike panel with all the bends and corners i would dear to say to will be hard for a first timer.

16. bikerbeynard

bikerbeynard Luke

Rides:
    gpr 125 ,mbk rocket,
    I did it just gotta be patient ..everything has a learning curve

17. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Old thread i know.

i am a competent painter/sprayer, but decamping panels in winter and spraying without a booth or heaters is not the very best idea.

so i went and stumped up for some Matte Chrome Orange vinyl film to change the scooter from the very bad matt black spraycan job by previous owner to something a little more eyecatching .
    only sourced a small amount of film at first as i will be test laying on some old panels that lost lugs and screw wells , but i am in hope its going to be cheaper than a full on re-spray and 2k clearcoat job.

i have a couple mini scrapers and some off cuts of felt material so will make my own spreaders, and will rob my little niece of her hairdryer.
    will also put a couple shots up in this thread to show the finish/film covering

18. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    I like insane,s idea let the expert do it

19. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    got quoted £300 for a scooter wrap in custom orange, and they wanted all panels removed off scoot, i mean for that price i could do a sparkle silver undercoat shoot a candy pearl orange over and 2k clearcoat it .

asked the company how much a roof warp would be and they said around £150 just for colour change only lol. i walked away after that.

yep pro is always best, bu when your kinda strapped for cash sometimes you just gotta try these things yourself.

20. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    I would make a right mess of it cant even hang wallpaper properly, in my case its cheaper to get the proper trades to do the job