Finally.the ice is starting to be done

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by hairyjim, May 13, 2020.

1. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    1589406388636950027712840775784.jpg 15894064448805285417895648069913.jpg 15894064982085309361906276529.jpg 15894065535607291305804957501921.jpg Been having some anti social distancing recently to the point of speeking to nobody or going out...but now I've shook the cobwebs away and started the ice. parts stored and here's what it's like now.engine ready to come out and next step take off the cables and reg etc.frame is gonna get sanded and stored and then all the other bits are gonna be done as and when i get my mojo moving..here's some pics.

Attached Files:

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Bloody hell. Been a while since you were here last...

3. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Mmmm.been a bit busy doing other stuff and now I'm back to boring routine..I had a bit of a medical issue and had a month in hospital having two dead toes cut off.back at my brothers bored ...idiot bought a gilera ice..had a bit off a depressing few months and what with one thing and another I just gave up on everything.quack said I had depression.no shit..anyway..I've got my head together for the time being and stopped looking at the ice and decided to do what I didn't want to do...stripped it to the bare bones.the frame is sitting in the back garden with the engine and suspension bolts ready to pull and the engine to come out.all the rest is in boxes ready to do up and put back on.more of a mess than I thought.the clown that worked on it last screwed it up with anything to hand and any how he could.sanding it down flat is the next thing and respraying it silver and then the forks etc.engine is gonna be fun.greased to the eyeballs.good hot wash and a degrease I think..dremmel is gonna be busy.you know how it goes..it's a dirty job but someones gotta do it.still after a few bits.have to shout down Steve p's ear again see what he's got now I know what I need.

4. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Well. Working on something mechanicals. Is Always good for the mental heatlh

hairyjim likes this.
  5. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Mmmm. Was something satisfying bout pulling it apart. Was telling myself for weeks not to but I had this urge.. You know how it is.. Its an urge. Can't scratch it.. Can't put cream on it.. Can't ignore it... Its an urge. So I gave in.. Despite my brother saying... "you ain't gonna finish it if you strip it".. Farque I said... silver paint is ordered for the frame and matt black for all the plastic Sept the front panel. Matt lacquer for top finish.. Red for wheels, suspension, front panel,floor bottom panel. might change my mind and matt black the lot and lacquer it.. See how the black and silver looks first on a test piece. Lots of bits here and there need sorting like brake cable and hydrolic line. Throttle cable wiring etc. We all know how that goes.. Need head bearings too so another reason to drop the fork out. Half the balls missing and a buggered race. Animals have had a go at rebuilding it and left nuts bolt screws and other bits off it. Frames been sprayed black upto the speedo housing and the speedo housing has been fitted back with cable ties cos they've buggered the screw bits in the cases. They must have took the cases off so why not spray the whole bloody thing. I can see MY O. C. D kicking in big time on this thing. Looks like my next job is rubbing down the frame and cleaning shit up for later. Bit of luck my head will stay on track and all my family will get off my case.

6. Rickard Pingol

Haha. Have been there to. Nowadays i only buy a scooter stock. As a youngster its was always tempting when looking at these tuned scooters. With 70cc and all that stage6 bling on it. Once you have it. I breaks down. You strip it. As you say, animals. They had no clue what they were doing. Lost bolts or even worse. Broken bolts, stripped threads everywhere. I always lose my sence of time time. "Flow state or what they call it". When working on a scooter or something. In a Good way. Its just such a Good feeling, when the engine starts, and everything is in order. Its like a miracle, ITS ALIVE

hairyjim likes this.
  7. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Mmmmm. Been an noticed something else with it today. Its got odd wheels. The one on the back looks like a 5 blade fan and the front looks like an original ice wheel. I like the rear fan style but don't know what it's off or if whaT it's off can be used for the front on a digital ice speedo thingy. Ile see if I can upload a pic but some of the ones I've tried previous have been too big mb wise.if I can use the rear style front wheel and change the forks to fit I don't mind. Maybe some upside downs if nessesary. Either way... If anyone knows of a sweet pair of wheels that fit the ice 50 and still operate the digital doobry with or without fork change I'm up for it.

Attached Files:

8. Rickard Pingol

Did some detective work. My guess is that the rear wheel is from a gilera stalker. "Compare the pictures in google" The ice had 120/90-10 both front and back, whilst the stalker has 130/90-10 in the back and 120/90-10 at the front. Fast check on ebay front fork 100+ gbp
    Front wheel 20~50 gbp exluded shipping. If it has the same speedo. I have no clue. Maybe you can use the ice fork too. Better to check the dimension beforehand. Hopefully someone here on the forum, owns a stalker and can help out. Yeah and the restrictions on the upload of pictures is quite annoying. Maybe its an old standard when the filesizes was smaller. I have to crop my pictures on some online site on internet. Everytime i upload

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    hairyjim likes this.
  9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Looks like a gilera wheel

hairyjim likes this.
  10. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi all. Cheers for that Richard. Had a shoofty on ebay and looks like there's wheels available but at prices I'm not ready to shell out till later after it's ready to attack the issue. Easier to get an original wheel for now and spend money on the engine bits ile be looking at sorting. The engine ain't gotta oil pump so I'm going premix so a one piece throttle cable is on the list. Thinking of feeding all the cables and wiring through the oil tank(down tube) keep it tidy. Mate locally is on the hunt for bits for me so may come up with the wheel(s). Paint and wet n dry is on its way so be rubbing it down soon as its here. Have to get the oil and mank off it too. So the bit that takes the time for little gain is next.. Hopefully the silver paint and lacquer looks OK and I can start the rest. You all know how it goes..

11. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    LOL. Yep.

12. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Got my wet n dry through saturday.did 4hrs of rubbing down and shot a Matt black layer on the front fairing..what a waste of time that was.the grey primer looked like glass till the black dried.more curtains than a 5 bebroom house.rubbed it down as best i could and gonna keep laying and sanding paint till it's flat.think 1200 is a bit too fine for some of it so gonna get some slightly rougher stuff.going by the state of the other panels i think I'm gonna be doing a lot of sanding.

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Just take your time. It's better to do loads of thin layers than too much and a load of runs....
    On my chop cub I accidentally used this semi Matt stuff, didn't realize til the day after, I was on a crazy deadline to get it done and drive to the UK, so it was still wet when I put it in the car, I touched it up on the road to the UK...

hairyjim likes this.
  14. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi
    Hi scuba.. others..did light coats but my estimation of my rubbing down was well off.previous sprayer was as bad with his spraying skills too.did a light rubbing down of all the curtains and shot another coat on but it's dried like I've used different paint.ive got 1 can left for a few bits so one more shot after a rub down and see how it goes.may just use it as undercoat for gloss if it don't look right.let it harden up for a few days and see.frame next.that HAS got some curtains.600/800 start on that i think.down the shops tommorow for a tin of stripper for the engine too.that is manked with paint. 15905472895154696780358946085070.jpg

Attached Files:

15. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    15917091867386386514035990299161.jpg

ramo likes this.
  16. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Give the side a quick coat to see what state the case was in.bit scratched but Ile keep rubbing and spraying till it's something reasonable.cup brush stripping the frame at the mo.so many layers of paint I've give up on the nitromores.file too big to load a pic..

17. Rickard Pingol

Looks fresh

18. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Cheers.i gave it a sand down and a wash with some white spirit and shot a bit of paint on it to see what state it was in. I really do need to evaluate my rubbing down abilities..it's got shed loads of scratches all over and bits of left over paint that i should have sanded off. The frame is coming along nicely.lots of bits I'm gonna need to do by hand though but i was expecting that.its drizzling out at the mo and the exposed metal is getting a slight sheen of corrosion already.good final rub down with some fine paper before spraying should sort that.be about a week till im on top of it.need some more stripper to soften the thick layers of paint .think it was put on with a broom.

19. Rickard Pingol

Gonne be Nice when finished. Am i guessing you have gotten the curse of being a perfectionist :). Im a bit the same

hairyjim likes this.
  20. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    I'm a little bit anal in some respects.i think it's ocd or just plain gotta be done right after spending money on it.being brought up with not much new or worth a toss didn't help.if I get something that's got potential and I think it should be resurrected I do tend to go all out to the point of perfection.ive got an issue with having naff all money too so I'm on a tight budget and this thing is eating into money like its going out of fashion.i did a silly thing the other day and found a load of receipts for bits and added them up.OUCH. N.O.S panels ain't Cheap.im doing it as a labor of love now.ive got a brother on my back to prove wrong too.im on the bits that take the most time for little result but once it all comes together it will be worth it.just have to fend off the mental gremlins and all the nay Sayers around me and plug on through.the todo boxes are getting smaller and the done boxes bigger.few bits might have to forgo the refurbishment side of things to progress the built quicker but can be done later.as long as it keeps going farward Ile be getting there.