fiberglassing !?!?!

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by hitty, Oct 14, 2008.

1. hitty

hitty New Member

ok then. i have a pannel thats snapped cleanly in 2 pieces.
    what sort of fiberglassing kit will i need to repair it?
    is it ok to glue the pieces together first to make sure its in the correct place before i fibergalss?
    then at a guess. fiberglass the innerside then body fill the outer side?
    once done sand down and prepair it for a spray?

thanks.

2. runnerboy08

runnerboy08 Member

just buy a new panel, it wont look the best either if you bodge it

3. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

im sure some one hus pro like minor will correct me lol but i get it in rite plagen then melt the panel 2gevva with soldering iron on bothe sides making a v in the front wen u melt it 2 gevva sand off the rough bits then fiber glass front n back nice amount not a poxy lil layer on bak .sands with rough wet n dry then filler then sand then filer then sand then primer and paint n lacquer .there u go m8

4. hitty

hitty New Member

lol. u do know that burning plastics and breathing in the fumes really aint good for ya but i like the idea. ive got a gas mask around somewhere.
    i need to do 3 pannels matey. its like £100 for them. i cant find any second hand ones. theya re liek gold dust.

5. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

lol yes agreed i didnt suggest u breathed it in .a resperator would be a good idea through the whole process as fibre glass fumes filler dust and spray paint is all bad for u 2 m8y

6. hitty

hitty New Member

lol. any idea on what products are good? and where to get them from. maybe a link?

7. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

the isopon range is good .ready mixed fibre glass just add the hardner they supply n then apply n same with the filler cheap 2 m8 .but the best of the best is aircraft grade super light super strong but easy to sand

8. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Got any pics of the panels?

They'll need to be plastic welded for strength, fibreglass won't do alot on it. Could maybe fibreglass after welding though.

9. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

yh plastic weld or as i say some lpastic and a soldering iron will do trik

10. pembo_99

pembo_99 Member

hi, ive seen people do fibreglass ontop of plastic and i do not know how it works, my dad has done it for a living most his life and ive been doing it last few years on and off, and fibreglass will not stick to plastic.

what do you use?

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    i use epoxy's and sheet/resins.. fibreglass does stick but i get what your dads saying, it needs to be a certian resin to adhire to plastic, depends entirely on the plastic too.. mixed up 2 sheets today and tryd EVERY glue known to man and it just wouldent adhere to this plastic..

12. pembo_99

pembo_99 Member

oh :) just told my dad and he never even new you could.. is it a more modern thing haha even if it wasnt my dads only ever used one method and thats all i know,, the one that sticks to nothing! :)

so what exactly do you use minor? if you dont mind me asking, interests me. would love to make a new rear section for mine..

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    fibreglass wont stick to abs all that well (what bumpers are made of hence your dad's quiery) sticks to the main pannels fine if you drill/rough it right up. same with filler... abs is shitty soft plastic (used on the inner pannels and light pans on a scoot) doint go neer it with paint or filler or fibreglass... if it does stick it wont be for long

i just use good pannels tbh LOL if i have to repair its aryldite/plastic weld on the back, lil skim an sand on the front an paint.. if fibreglassing i drill lots of holes in the area of attack and lay it on.. roller out so its WELL compressed and leave it a day

14. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Ah right cool cool. Mine have stuck ok on the VX but it was proper roughed up and small holes here and there.

What do the euros use as it is really popular over there?

15. pembo_99

pembo_99 Member

wwas thinking of making a smoothed off back and use some rear light shapes from other sports bikes? but i supose i could hold them together in a fashion and fill them smoothe, then take a mold off that and make a proper one peice fibreglass one, thanks tho

16. webber

webber New Member

I wish i read this earlier... i just roughened a rear panel set and sat there fibre glassing it for the past hours; shit.

LOL let you all know how it goes i guess.

webber

17. pembo_99

pembo_99 Member

haha good luck :cool: will probly work for people other than me :w00t: