exhaust port

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by dylanbws100, Nov 16, 2008.

1. seanwhite06

seanwhite06 New Member

Rides:
    runner 172, zx6r
    some very true words being spoken there,

ive read many books, and ive dun all the sums but i just cant use a dremmel for shit.

its so frustrating as ive got quite a few maps ive calculated and i wanna try but everytime ive tried to lay a map on to a barrel its never the right shape. lol,
    just wanna try one, den improve it, try again etc but last time i tried i some how ended with triangle inlets and a exhaust 8 degress out from where i wanted it! lol

2. dylanbws100

dylanbws100 New Member

ok so last weekend I took the motor apart. I didn't have a dremel so I used a chisel and a hammer. I put everything back together but now it won't start...Why?????
    :confused:cratch: :wallbash:

hahaha...na just joking. It's done. just got to tune the tranny. used to pull between 6 and 7 k...but now pulls from 7 to 8 k. Top RPM is still same though....hmmmmm?

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    u are fuckin joking right? :confused:arc:

4. dylanbws100

dylanbws100 New Member

hahahah! relax...chisel never came out!
    But results stated above are true.

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    right, gimmi the stroke bore and hights of each port in mm... ill work out a nice revving map (alot is dependant on the pipe and stroke so dont expect massive gains in rpm especially wihtouit setting up your transmission... the tinyest change throws it completly off..)

6. dylanbws100

dylanbws100 New Member

Hey man....don't have the measurements on me....using different computer and can't get to it everyday...thats why i haven't posted much lately.

I have a porting programme here...actually a few :rofl:
    I'll hook you up with the measurements hopefully by the weekend. Cos i want to put them in my programmes and see what i get compared to you.

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    no worries.. remember you tune around your pipe.. or tune to max and get a pipe/make one to suit

8. dylanbws100

dylanbws100 New Member

yeah got limited resouurces at the moment...will have a little bit of 'tin' at the end of the month to spend...working as barman at the moment.

You still want the bore and stroke? doubt so without the rest.

I got a LV ZX at home....but i reckon its for a 50cc....the header is the same diameter as stock (round about) and it doesn't give performance....is it cos of the restrictor in the cone? there isn't one in the header,
    Thanks

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    hmm.. may well be a 50 altho the diameter of the header as you put it is pritty meak on even a high end pipe... its not a 4t, diameter isnt evertything.

ip the can apart, check for restrictions and remember to play around with the rollers whn you fit a spoirts pipe.. the stock pipe is usually made to produce power at a stupidly low rpm

10. dylanbws100

dylanbws100 New Member

yeah I agree...bigger isn't always better when it comes to 2 strokes.... But it seems abnormally small and abnormally long (the header) compared to all the other 100cc pipes.

When my PRD pipe was on it performed at it's best....but gradually got worse and worse....the got the ZX and was the worst...even with the tuned tranny, So whipped the PRD back on. Unfortunately the only picture I have is on another scooter site, so won't be able to show you.

I got jennings book on expansion chambers at home....labelled

DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW ABOUT EXPANSION CHAMBERS.........

and basically made me even more confused.

Does the silenser have anything to do with performance? maybe increasing pressure or something allowing crisper pressure wave? Cos the pipe isn't performing well with the sort and fat ZX silencer on...hmmmm

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    diameter and length of the internal baffel of the pipe controls its performance/backpressure.. the actual outer diameter of the can is irelevent, its simply nois reducing so the bigger it is the quieter it is..

think of a pipe as a pipe, no can, just a stinger... the can is put in place of a straight peice of pipe to reduce nois nothing more

12. dylanbws100

dylanbws100 New Member

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye wont be helping atall.. same as a big diameter on a smaller pipe... just doesent work, needs to be a constant diameter from the divergant cone to the tip of the stinger (im probably not the best person to talk to about pipes, ive never made one)

14. dylanbws100

dylanbws100 New Member

Iv heard it's a bitch to make cos of the wood rollers you have to make first...just thinking about it is making me want to leave it. But the pipe and the cylinder must work in conjunction with one another and parts here are scarce.

Seriously thinking about a 70cc. What all would have to be changed in a 100cc to make it a 70cc?

15. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    m8, there totally diff... id sell the 100 and find yourself a piggy engined 50 if poss ;)

ether way its a longer stroke with a bigger bore, so the right port map case work and pipe WILL make more power than a 50.. just no fucker makes ANYTHING thats even worth buying for these engines..

16. Blue dwarf

Blue dwarf New Member

Reading this thread with intrest and if you want Dylan I can send you a spec sheet (scan it an email it) of a pipe design for your current specs.
    How you build it is up to you :D
    Id need specific info tho:

Bore
    Stroke
    Conrod length
    Gudeon pin offset (height above or below the centre line of the piston)
    Exhaust port height (over all)
    Exhaust port height from the top of the port to TDC
    Exhaust port duration or degrees it opens ATDC
    Effective exhaust port diameter (actual port in the cylinder wall)
    Effective exhaust port diameter (opening at the manifold)
    Length ot the exhaust tract (from piston face to manifold)
    Required operating RPM
    Max RPM peak power.

After crunching the numbers this will produce a pipe that`ll work well for the specs provided.
    Affecting matters will be the quality of construction,cone matching (not easy to roll cones whose edges match perfectly, i know ive hand built over 30 now)
    and material although it`s always easier to build them out of low carbon mild steel simply because it`s easier to work with and is the perfect material for resonant pipes that ...resonate a lot (read vibrate).

17. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    so how much we talkin, no can.. ?
    ive a chrome 55 i REALLY dont want to use...

18. dylanbws100

dylanbws100 New Member

WOW...that'll be first prize hey!:D:D:D
    Iv'e sent you a PM...
    Really appreciate it

19. Blue dwarf

Blue dwarf New Member

Not gonna build it for him Minor just going to crunch the numbers and send him the specs to build to, it`s a challange so it`s a freebie and you never know I might wind up in a bar in S. Africa one day and need a drink ;)

20. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    well, how much is your time worth? i REALLY cant be fucked to mess about for months mangeling a half assed shaped pipe out when i can just have one made surely :D