Engine swap

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by bmunro21, May 8, 2016.

1. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Hi guys, today I did an engine swap on my 2006 speedfight 50 for a 2002 50 engine. All went smoothly apart from one little hiccup. Upon re installing the engine I got no spark. I noticed that there was a little red a black wire/connector on my bike with nothing plugged into it. I looked on my engine and couldn't find the wire anywhere. Then I noticed on my old engine there is an extra red and black wire/connector coming off the stator. Is this why I'm getting no spark? And if I swap the stators over will it be okay?

Many thanks

2. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Anyone?

3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yeah, some Peugeot stators have four coils, some have five. Swap the stators over and you should be OK.

4. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Okay so I swapped my stator over, I've got a a spark but suprise suprise it won't fucking start!!!! Is there anyone in the Surrey area that knows what they are doing with bikes?

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Stupid question - does the plug get wet with fuel when you kick it over? I hope you haven't done an engine swap because the petrol tank was empty! :p

Seriously though, the fuel tap is vacuum operated - to ensure that fuel is getting to the carb, open up the air box and stuff a rag in the carb throat while you kick it over a couple of times, to generate enough vacuum to open the fuel tap. Remove the rag then you should have managed to fill the float bowl.

6. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Yeah the plug does get wet with fuel and fuel is deffo getting to the carb. I'm just so lost with all this and can't afford to spend one more penny on it :D

7. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    OK, don't panic. When you changed the stator, did you make a note of the position of the ignition pickup coil, the one that has a metal pickup that triggers the CDI? There is some slight adjustment in it and you don't need to be far away from the rotor for the spark to be too weak to start the engine.

8. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

No I didn't make note of the position of the coils actually :/ however for the rubber thing around the pickup to slot into its seat the stator could only be in one position if you know what I mean

9. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

I've already lost my job because of this scooter so I just need to get it sorted once and for all!!!

10. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I'm sorry to hear about the job. I am trying to help you, but throwing your toys around and losing your temper isn't going to help you think clearly and solve the problem.

11. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

I realise that, sorry I'm just getting stressed out:p. I don't see what the issue could be? I've got compression, I've got a spark, and fuel is getting into the bore, theoretically it should run?

12. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yes that's true, but the distance beween the pickup coil and the rotor magnets can be adjusted slightly. Have you reconnected the automatic choke on the carb? Fuel, air and spark - lose any one of the three and it won't run. Was the spark from the plug a bright blue, or more of an orange colour? Is the battery charged and can you hear the relay click when you pull the back brake and press the starter?

13. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Choke is connected and it's a blue spark. The battery is charged and the electric start turns the engine over... It just does not want to start:(

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Did you swap the reed block over from the old engine and are you sure that the reeds are in good condition? Faulty reeds or worn crankcase seals can rob the engine of fuel/air mixture before it gets through the transfer ports to the cylinder.

Indulge me - use something to hold the back brake on to engage the starter relay, try covering the air inlet in the air box with a rag for a second or two and try turning it over, then remove the rag. This will force mixture into the engine and may 'brute force' it into starting. Sometimes they need to be a bit more than 'kick started'...

15. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

No I used the reeds that where in this engine, and I've checked them and they are in very good condition!!.

I've just tried what you said but removed my air filter and covered part of the inlet, didn't work. So I tried covering the whole inlet and that didn't work either. Noticed that if I cover the inlet with a clean rag when I remove it it has some petrol on it? And that's another issue I have... I have no kickstart either but I'm not worried about that :D

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    OK, so fuel is getting there to the point where it's almost flooding, that's good :). Whip the spark plug out and clean the electrode tip and the top that goes into the spark plug cap, so that you know they are 100% good electrically. If it still won't start, whip the flywheel off and move the pickup coil slightly closer to the outside and try again. it may be that the signal from the pickup coil to the CDI isn't strong enough.

17. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

I'm a little confused, it's all bolted to the engine, I'm unsure of how I'm supposed to move the coil :/

18. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Just so you know I am very grateful for all this help!!! Hopefully we can get my bike working!!

19. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Does your pickup coil have little slots that the mounting screws go through? I'm talking about the coil near the little rubber bung.

20. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Couldn't for the life of me tell you, I'll have a look when it's a bit lighter and let you know :)