Engine parts

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by SpeedyScott1, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Nice, enjoy

2. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Can't wait missed it lol what mileage does carbs normally need doing?

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Different bikes have different mileages in the maintenance schedule. If the weather is cold you tend to get more moisture build up but clean it every 3000 - 5000km unless you have issues.

4. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Yeah mine has just done over 4500 so is within range but said the water in the carbs was prob down to all the wet weather we have had and not covering it up so another lesson learned on why you should keep the bike covered lol

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

My beemer has water in the carbs everytime it rains... Effing useless bike that it is...

6. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    could some of that water be due to icing, some carbs are prone to this

7. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Most water build up in carbs is due to cold weather rather than damp. The carbs are sat within the confines of a hot engine so get hot, when they sit and cool rapidly such as winter then condensation forms inside. This cant burn off so accumulates, often collecting in the float bowl where it sits with the fuel. Adding water to fuel means poor combustion. Whilst carbs are fairly well sealed systems rain water cant really get in however it can be drawn in through the airfilter or seep in around autochokes and cable points. Oiling air filter sponges helps but not much else that we can do. Regularly drain the float bowl through the drainage screw if its particularly cold or wet.

SpeedyScott1 likes this.
  8. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Collected bike and sounds brilliant it's never sounded like it has since I got it lol sounds like it has got a sports exhaust on it lol

He said he had tuned it up and ride better and a bit quicker so hoping this is the end of the issues.

9. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Hey there's so much to learn about scooters and it's all very interesting and I didn't know you could drain the float bowl lol will have to find out have to do that lol

10. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Glad its running well, its good that you found a mechanic who knows what he is doing, ive had bikes 'tuned' and they've made things worse. Enjoy the riding, spring is upon us.

SpeedyScott1 likes this.
  11. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yep airboxes are very much less likely to cause water to get in. on my sym jet i have a forced air duct, so as scooter moves along air is forced into a air scoop and directed to the airbox. if its raining theres a slight possibility that some of that water could get to the airfilter.
    My old 12mm carb also came fitted with a carb heater due to it being a forced air system. the carb heater warms the carb up so the cold air entering has less chance to ice up aka Carb icing , the same carb heaters can also be found on small aircraft to prevent carb icing and a fuel block ( not really wanted when your flying ).

the tune up would have been an adjustment to the slide needle , and your idle/mixture screws , also possible a slight tweek to the oil pump if your twostroked all those help to pep up a what was struggling scooter.

12. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Sounds like when you drill the exhaust that sort of sound lol sounds like a motorbike then a scooter lol