Engine dies while driving

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by the_white_asian, May 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. the_white_asian

the_white_asian New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm very new here, I decided to join when I was googling solutions to my problem and came across a thread everyone was very helpful on, although that thread wasn't exactly related to my problem. Hoping to get the same result here if possible.

I live in Vietnam, I have bought a 2017 Yamaha NVX 155cc Automatic scooter. It's a model that is most probably only in SE Asia. It's also known as Yamaha Aerox among some other countries in Asia.

Info on the bike.

Fuel Injected, CVT, Sensors on everything, 14,000 on the odometer. New spark plug 200Km ago.

Recently - the last 6-7 months or so - my bike has randomly shut the engine off while i'm driving normally. This is only an intermittent problem, it's happened 5 times in the last 300kms and maybe 16 times in the last 1000kms. On the LCD display, the engine revs go to zero and all electronics remain fully functional. While twisting the throttle as i'm rolling to a stop, there does seem to be a gargle of sound coming from the engine. Once i've come to a complete stop the engine will start back up immediately without trouble. All throughout this process, no error codes display on the dash.

I'm leaning towards the Crankshaft or Camshaft positioning sensor (not entirely sure which one(s) mine has), the sparkplug cable, ignition coil or the stator.

Any input in helping me head in the right direction from people with more experience than myself would be greatly appreciated as the Yamaha mechanics here haven't the foggiest idea, or are too lazy to do their job correctly, hence why I might need to tackle this myself.

98347744_662950407817880_8913225632297517056_n.jpg 95564641_2539132843007797_4463095143716618240_n.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If it was the crank or cam sensor then it would throw a code. The codes are shown as a series of flashes on the Fi light on the dashboard, the amount of flashes and sequence (fast or slow) indicating a code number.
    For instance, two long flashes followed by one short flash would be code 21. Then you look up what code 21 is for your bike.

However, does this happen after you hit a bump as it could be that something is slightly loose.......

3. the_white_asian

the_white_asian New Member

Not when I hit a bump, the road could be perfectly smooth when it happens. The code would actually show a complete number on the LCD display. I've had an error 12 in the past which is a common problem with this model due to the proximity of the plastic plug to the engine. Usually the plug mellts for various reasons. Loose connection causing electricity to arc, possibly stator running too hot?

Possibly just the spark plug cable then?