Ok, I'll check the prices and go for it
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
Driving in winter?
That'd be your best bet!,Ok, I'll check the prices and go for it
I started off otr years ago before all this compulsory nonsense?,
The problem i've noticed from learning from experience,even though
I fully support the idea myself!,
Is 1st impresions count an it can be a way of leatning ingrained bad habits,
Get yourself at least a basic course so to have some road confidence and
neccesary pointers to start you off.
I hate riding in the winter by the way,
Does'nt suit my riding style.
.
Does'nt suit my riding style.
I'm sure I will hate it tooI hate riding in the winter by the way,
Does'nt suit my riding style..
When 'peeps give you advice it's from their point of view and what generally works for them but not always for others,I'm sure I will hate it too. I'm looking forward to getting a "feel" for the scooter and gaining confidence in what it can do. Then I'll be able to relate more to the advice on the forums.
as you get alot more experience learn to run it through the 'radar',if at any time your unsure,ask about a bit and you'll get a clearer picture an from a better perspective,
Hope ya have some happy rides.
Cheers MarkWhen 'peeps give you advice it's from their point of view and what generally works for them but not always for others,
as you get alot more experience learn to run it through the 'radar',if at any time your unsure,ask about a bit and you'll get a clearer picture an from a better perspective,
Hope ya have some happy rides..mark.
Really looking forward to it now. Just browsing ebay at the moment to search for other gear I'll need: helmet, lock (with alarm?), raingear, etc. Not sure how much protection is required for a 50cc, I'm guessing the full leather gear is a bit OTT, maybe something in the middle that can be weather resistant and offer protection.
Good helmet/gloves to start,
Jeans are good -try to avoid pants made with synthetic materials (they can melt onto skin when sliding off down road!),
a good reasonably priced alternative to pricy m/c boots would be construction boots as nowadays their quite stylish/tough
an give easy mainteneance.
Locks!,when getting insurance most insurers have their own approved lists,you may want to look into that as will affect your
insurance as where you live/park/store it,i'd usually go for at least 1 per wheel/each long enough to go through wheel/frame+
anchor point.
Raingear,you can get a very compact/lighweight top-bottom set,
Noticed you mentioned piaggio,well they do a lot of accesories;1 i've noticed amongst the commuters in london
is a sort of windbreaker type blanket?mark.
.
Jeans are good -try to avoid pants made with synthetic materials (they can melt onto skin when sliding off down road!),
a good reasonably priced alternative to pricy m/c boots would be construction boots as nowadays their quite stylish/tough
an give easy mainteneance.
Locks!,when getting insurance most insurers have their own approved lists,you may want to look into that as will affect your
insurance as where you live/park/store it,i'd usually go for at least 1 per wheel/each long enough to go through wheel/frame+
anchor point.
Raingear,you can get a very compact/lighweight top-bottom set,
Noticed you mentioned piaggio,well they do a lot of accesories;1 i've noticed amongst the commuters in london
is a sort of windbreaker type blanket?mark.
Add:-
Forgot to mention,
A good leather jacket,padded elbows/shoulders,i've found to be pretty
indespensible against things like gravel rash - should be able to find
one that'll suit on/off the bike,if not at least get jacket that has protection
on certain contact points.
It's cold down your way I take it....de-misting spray for your visor!.
.
Forgot to mention,
A good leather jacket,padded elbows/shoulders,i've found to be pretty
indespensible against things like gravel rash - should be able to find
one that'll suit on/off the bike,if not at least get jacket that has protection
on certain contact points.
It's cold down your way I take it....de-misting spray for your visor!.
I totally forgot to check with the insurance company about approved locks! Better delay the "buy now" buttonGood helmet/gloves to start,
Jeans are good -try to avoid pants made with synthetic materials (they can melt onto skin when sliding off down road!),
a good reasonably priced alternative to pricy m/c boots would be construction boots as nowadays their quite stylish/tough
an give easy mainteneance.
Locks!,when getting insurance most insurers have their own approved lists,you may want to look into that as will affect your
insurance as where you live/park/store it,i'd usually go for at least 1 per wheel/each long enough to go through wheel/frame+
anchor point.
Raingear,you can get a very compact/lighweight top-bottom set,
Noticed you mentioned piaggio,well they do a lot of accesories;1 i've noticed amongst the commuters in london
is a sort of windbreaker type blanket?mark..
I was planning to use my normal boots (ankle high). I'm going to get proper gloves and a mid range jacket that isn't "a motorcycle" jacket (get 2 uses out of it).
Nice to know jeans are ok.
Found cheap full face helmets on ebay for £30 (ebay link).
Still looking for a thin waterproof all-in-one raingear. Probably get a high visibility vest too, why not?
Choose your courses wisely!,especially how their skill level is rated!,
All extras you do will count towards how you're premium is affected,
insurers see all riders/drivers as risks/so it's up to you to prove otherwise....
Having a licence (full/provisional) is 1 thing,,having someat extra is a whole
different ball game "puts" you into another category and limits the amount of
£'s those b......s steal off you!!.
.
All extras you do will count towards how you're premium is affected,
insurers see all riders/drivers as risks/so it's up to you to prove otherwise....
Having a licence (full/provisional) is 1 thing,,having someat extra is a whole
different ball game "puts" you into another category and limits the amount of
£'s those b......s steal off you!!.
Just be careful with those £30 helmets. If you can afford £100 for a helmet, get a £100 helmet. It's not worth skimping on something that protects your cerebral matter.
I bought a Grex 9.1 flip-front. Grex is Nolan's subsidiary brand. They use slightly older Nolan technology, without the Nolan price. It's a very comfortable, well fitting lid. £119 for a decent flip-front helmet.
Apparently, Spada helmets aren't bad either, for the lower price range. Just make sure whatever you buy you try first. The fit and feel varies widely.
I bought a Grex 9.1 flip-front. Grex is Nolan's subsidiary brand. They use slightly older Nolan technology, without the Nolan price. It's a very comfortable, well fitting lid. £119 for a decent flip-front helmet.
Apparently, Spada helmets aren't bad either, for the lower price range. Just make sure whatever you buy you try first. The fit and feel varies widely.
.
knowing from past experience you can actually damage your helmet
internally with just a slight knock/with no apparent signs!,
by picking a reasonably good quality helmet but not ott in the-
£ department you can afford to renew on safe basis,
If on doubt though,don't take a chance...... there's only 1 of you,
But plenty of bikes out there.
.
I'd go ©mid-range myself ,Just be careful with those £30 helmets. If you can afford £100 for a helmet, get a £100 helmet. It's not worth skimping on something that protects your cerebral matter.
I bought a Grex 9.1 flip-front. Grex is Nolan's subsidiary brand. They use slightly older Nolan technology, without the Nolan price. It's a very comfortable, well fitting lid. £119 for a decent flip-front helmet.
Apparently, Spada helmets aren't bad either, for the lower price range. Just make sure whatever you buy you try first. The fit and feel varies widely.
knowing from past experience you can actually damage your helmet
internally with just a slight knock/with no apparent signs!,
by picking a reasonably good quality helmet but not ott in the-
£ department you can afford to renew on safe basis,
If on doubt though,don't take a chance...... there's only 1 of you,
But plenty of bikes out there.
.
I'd go ©mid-range myself ,
knowing from past experience you can actually damage your helmet
internally with just a slight knock/with no apparent signs!,
by picking a reasonably good quality helmet but not ott in the-
£ department you can afford to renew on safe basis,
If on doubt though,don't take a chance...... there's only 1 of you,
But plenty of bikes out there..
Sound advice there fella!
More threads in General Scooter Discussion
| What's the going rate for an sr125 | 14 Jul 2013 |
| In need ov some advice please | 14 Jul 2013 |
| no spark | 14 Jul 2013 |
| Belgian police.... | 13 Jul 2013 |
| A Breakdown Tale | 11 Jul 2013 |
| Lambretta's | 9 Jul 2013 |
| any1 gt a haynes manual pdf file for neos? | 8 Jul 2013 |
| Pipe Filter ? | 8 Jul 2013 |
| Long Drive on a 100 | 8 Jul 2013 |
| I'll pay for help! lol | 8 Jul 2013 |
