Dragster blues

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by bogey, Jun 30, 2014.

1. bogey

bogey Active Member

No that didn't cure it. What are the symptoms of the rollers not working correctly? As this would be getting looked at next once I've got a holding tool.

2. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    I'd try a different carb. Sometimes they just go south like that - although I find that a complete strip-down and a blast of the slow circuit tends to fix the problem. But I have fixed scoots that simply didn't like the carb they had. Gurtners, generally.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'll second that one. Had a couple of bikes that got me chasing things that wouldn't cure it until i changed the carb completely.

turbovetto likes this.
  4. bogey

bogey Active Member

Well got the rollers out tonight and they are all pooped so I'm hoping this will cure it. On a plus I found out it has a malossi variator fitted. But the new belt that was fitted which was a Athena is starting to fray so I'll be changing that.

5. bogey

bogey Active Member

New rollers fitted and refitted the original belt. It's much much better although seems slower that it was with the knackered rollers and is still having the same issue although no where near as bad. Will look at replacing the carb at the end of the month is it worth going upto 21mm on my 70cc minarelli from a 17.5mm that's been on since the kit was fitted 8000kms ago?

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

OF COURSE IT IS, :rolleyes:

7. bogey

bogey Active Member

I'm giving up. It's booked in for a dyno run on thurs. Fingers crossed n all that.

8. bogey

bogey Active Member

Yes according to the workshop they know roughly what power it should be putting out and I guess if it's down they might be able to pinpoint the issue. Typically it's ran lovely for the last 3 days Id up jetted 10 and lowered my roller weight, although it was a bit lumpy on the run home tonight.
    My setup is
    Minarelli horizontal
    Mallosi 70cc
    Dellorto 17.5
    Yasuni z
    Mallosi variator
    4g rollers
    94 main
    I reckon about 8-9hp.

9. bogey

bogey Active Member

Well it put out 7.2hp at 44mph. They said motor was fine no air leaks etc. they also mentioned it should have made a little bit more and will need a strip. The clutch came off and was replaced from the std one which had done 24k. It's got harder springs in which I think need adjusting as it's only reaching 50 on the speedo now rather than 60. Do the clutches need to run in? Here's the printout.

[​IMG]

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Not really, they spin really fast before they contact the hub so any bedding in is pretty quick. They might glaze up some but if you whip the clutch hub off and scuff them up with some rough sandpaper they should be fine.

11. bogey

bogey Active Member

Thsnks

12. bogey

bogey Active Member

Think I'll be adjusting the springs then.