Direct bikes db50qt 5 no spark issue

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jog_RR_madhead, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Jog_RR_madhead

Jog_RR_madhead Trainee bike mechanic in need of assistance

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Hi guys.I have a direct bikes db50qt-5 with no spark. New stator New cdi and New coil. The frame is connected to the negative terminal on the battery by a black wire with loops on each end and the green wire from the loom is connected to the engine case. But still no spark. PLEASE HELP!! I also have a black wire with a loop on each end around ten inches long and I'm not sure where it goes. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Take a separate earth wire from the battery negative to the engine case.
    Check the gap bewteen the pick-up point on the flywheel and the pick-up with the single wire off it. The gap should be no more than 1mm.
    As this point on the flywheel passes over the pick-up head it tells the cdi to tell the coil to send a spark to the plug.
    If you have a multimeter, you might want to check that the coil is getting power to it across the primary and secondary windings.

Jog_RR_madhead likes this.
  3. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Thanks for your advice Steve I followed it but still nothing, on the 20v setting on the multimeter I got the following readings from each wire... the blue and yellow wire direct to the coil I got 0.3v - 0.6v. From the boot cap I got 0.47v -0.82v. The yellow wire from the stator 0.49v - 0.62v. The white wire 0.59 - 0.73v. The blue and white pick up wire 0.69v. There is power going to the black and red wire that goes into the cdi because I got a shock off it but I couldn't get a solid reading from it, the digits were all over the place on the multimeter fluctuating from plus to minus. Any ideas please because I haven't got a clue and I'm stuck. Thanks in advance

4. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Oh and I tried another multimeter and got the same readings

5. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    I have the same issue with my direct bikes lynx 125. Just having trouble finding a wiring diagram for the loom.

6. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
  7. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    chinese wiring.JPG found this as well. you should also test your stator on AC voltage not DC as its not DC until its regulated at the rectifier.

8. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thank you mate. I will let you know how i got on. While im trying mine i will try and figure out the above posts problem too.

9. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    Jog-rr-madhead. you need to measure the resistance in ohms for the stator and pickup wires. it lets you know if theres a broken wire on the stator coil, and whether the pickup is grounding or not. The other 2 tests are for the charge from the exciter coil to the CDI which should be measured in ohms, then in voltage when you turn the engine over. the other wires are for your battery charging circuit and other electrics. test at the cdi block first then at the stator if you have a bad reading. all tests should be done with the key in the on position but only the voltage test when turning over. seems to me you have a short somewhere. I don't know what your readings should be. did the black wire with the loop come with any of the new components you bought.