Derestricting a Honda sgx sky 50 2000

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by merovingian, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    Back from camping in 2 weeks and I will buy a set of jets.

2. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    I've got hold of a PHB619 carb today to try. Fitted it, ran it. It Needs tuning for splutter on low throttle. My spark plug is showing a brown now. Once I tune it tomorrow I will take it on a better run to test it properly

Attached Files:

3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The splutter might be cured by adjusting the needle height. I would try moving the needle circlip down one notch and see if that makes a difference. I don't know how many circlip grooves are on the needle you have but the range of adjustment that the grooves give you may cure the problem.

4. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    Thanks for your information. I have had a tinker this afternoon and adjusted the carb starting from the low mixture screw working my way to the needle. Managed to set it up with smooth operation throughout rev range. I think it's still on the rich side on the idel mixture because it splutters on very slight throttle opening but once you bring the revs a little higher it's fine.

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Sounds good. If you think the mixture is a bit rich at just above idle I would try raising the needle notch to weaken it slightly. If the circlip was in the middle groove and you've tried it in the bottom one, then try it in the top one (I am assuming that the needle has three groves - if you have more then play around). Raising the cirlip weakens the mixture, lowering it makes it more rich.

6. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    It has 4 circlip notches. Ive tried all the notches but it seems to run sweet on the top notch or second to top. I've put it on the top.

Merlin likes this.
  7. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    I was doing 50mph for 5 miles last night on my way home from work Burning down the A580 Behind a wagon. I even tried to overtake when I got to a downhill at 55mph but I ran out of hill and pulled back behind. stopped at traffic lights and went to burn back off I felt slippage from belt or clutch. I continued home steady, removed my cover to find my belts shot.
    Bought a new 1 today recommended for my honda sky which has a length of 830 X 18.5 and it's too short. Everywhere on eBay is even selling a 830 18.5 for my bike.
    I mean I can squeeze it on pulling my torque Spring half way down but that's not going to be much good. I'm going to have to get a longer belt. luckily my original is in 1 piece so I can measure it. I've compared both side by side and the new is defiantly shorter. The width I can't compare because half of was in the kickstart mechanism fured up.

8. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    Ive just measured both belts, the new 1 which claims to be a 830, is only a 800, my old belt measures 330mm

9. Pedro Costa

Pedro Costa New Member

Hello guys, im new here.
    Im Pedro, im from portugal, and i also have a Honda SGX50, but i am looking a way to make her faster.
    Can you guys help me ?

10. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Hi Pedro, an aftermarket pipe will help. Depends how much you're prepared to spend on her. Have you thought about a 70cc upgrade kit?

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Still restricted to 45kmh?

12. Pedro Costa

Pedro Costa New Member

Is still like I bought her. I would like that someone tell me what I have to do to get more speed on her.

13. Pedro Costa

Pedro Costa New Member

It's a good idea I will try it, can you recommend me somewhere where I can buy it on internet?

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The variator has a stopper plate. You need to take it off.
    You should be able to do wheelies even with the restriction to 45kmh. These motors make 5hp standard.

15. Pedro Costa

Pedro Costa New Member

And without the stopper plate? It gains some hp?

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Not hp. Top speed.