de-restricting a yamaha cw 50 BWs

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by hunter, Jan 12, 2009.

1. hunter

hunter New Member

Hi I have a yamaha cw 50 BWs 1996 I just took the veriator off to take the washer out but theres no washer there do you know if they used another method to restrict it instead .did they put smaller belts on to keep the gearing down or anything on the clutch side.
    anyone got any ideas.
    cheers

2. Dec

Dec Active Member

Rides:
    nothing ugm
    exhaust will be restricted mate ;) either a cone in the downpipe where it connects to the barrel, or a tube coming off the pipe, this needs to be cut off and then the hole re-welded or u can crimp whats left of it, tis up to you :D

3. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

The bws is restricted by several methods, and you've checked for one, the washer, dec mentioned the exhaust (which by the way sucks get an aftermarket one welding a 12 year old pipe will be crap) and theres the cdi which restricts it, but i wouldn't worry about that, get a 17.5mm carb as 12mm stock ones are restrictive ;)

Nothing else i think but i think the stock belts are a bit too small as they come nowhere the top of the variator

4. hunter

hunter New Member

cheers for the help I'll check the exhaust what sort of speed will it do once de-restricted.
    I am surprised there's no washer in the veriator it only does 32 at the minute

5. hunter

hunter New Member

checked the exhaust today and I cant see any restrictors in it are they normally at the end or right inside the pipe

6. [-Jebus-]

[-Jebus-] Member

i believe the washers right at the start of the pipe where it's connected to the manifold - little washer held in place with 2 spot welds... theres another one somewhere inside them - a cone to drill out i think... but i aint entirely sure =\

7. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

there ain't a washer it's just a pipe sticking out of it on the bend of the exhaust.

8. [-Jebus-]

[-Jebus-] Member

ooohh right well i dunno - just knew theres a washer somewhere on them

9. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

Might do on the newer ones to be fair, but the older ones didn't

10. hunter

hunter New Member

I have checked the full bike and cant find any restrictors anywhere surely it should do more than 32mph

11. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

how old are the belt and rollers ?

12. hunter

hunter New Member

they are the original ones 12 years old but they have only done 170 miles

13. [-Jebus-]

[-Jebus-] Member

i seriously don't believe they've only done 170 miles if they're the original ones, especially if they're 12 year old =\ my peds '54 plate and thats got like almost 11k on the clock lol.... (think its km's though?)

sure it aint gone round once already? :confused: or has it just sat in a garage all its life lol

14. hunter

hunter New Member

yes thats the genuine mileage it was stored away a few weeks after it was bought till last year

15. [-Jebus-]

[-Jebus-] Member

christ - thats how to waste money if you want too - buy a scooter and put it in a garage until its 1/8th of its original value or something lol...

some strange people o_O

16. jayzee19

jayzee19 Member

if it can help i have a very tuned mbk stunt the same as a yamaha 50 bws !!! if you want more top speed changing the carb will definetly help !!! but if theres no restrictor in the variator it's the exhaust and if its original just get an aftermarket one and take the restrictor out before fitting it !!1 Ang get a new carb because taht 12mm is very restrictive as said previously unless u upjet the 12 mm carb!!! and have you cleaned the inlet and airbox since its 12 years old??

17. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    its been stood 12 years, get the crank seals replaced they will be fucked beyond beleif.