Cutting/making holes in transmission case

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by ramo, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Im thinking of doing as the title says really. Whats the best tool for the job?

Someone reccomended a hole cutter on a drill but im not sure if that will hold up well with the thick metal and either way im more looking to make my own shapes instead of just circles..

Any ideas?

2. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    obviously drill bits for the circles and then either a file or dremmel to elongate any holes into other shapes.
    The covers are alloy so fairly soft in comparison to steel which makes it easy to work

3. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Cool ill give that a try. Im borrowing a drill press accessory for my dremel aswell which im told (hope) makes finishing alot easier

4. Cory Cole-Wilkins

Cory Cole-Wilkins Member

Rides:
    Yamaha YQ-50 Aerox
    Good luck man :)
    Be sure to post a picture of the outcome?

5. ramo

ramo GoldMember

No doubt ;)

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Not one to pee on anyone's bonfire but, the transmission cover act's like a wide tunnel, it draw's air in at the front, cool's the variator then cools the clutch, drilling holes in the cover won't be helping with the cooling! Over heating the belt? Just a thought.

7. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

well let say on aerox there is no holes at all so im guessing they would help in that case?

8. ramo

ramo GoldMember

I see how that works on a 125 engine that has proper vents ect but the 50 engine i have (with cat blocked up) only has the little black plastic bit at the front letting air in which doesnt look like its doing much by itself? Thinking back my other 50 had the rubber bit in the engine cover hole instead which made the transmission pretty much sealed if i remember rightly o_O. I was actually thinking of putting slits on the back of the clutch part like on a typhoon and above and below the kickstart i dunno though ill see..

9. Chubz

Chubz Well-Known Member

Rides:
    70cc Aerox 04'
    Forgive me for sounding dumb....

.....But surely if you put holes in the tranny casing, its not Gonna overheat beacause more COLD AIR is getting to the parts inside the casing which will cool it down faster?....... which brings me to my next point/question....How would that Overheat the belt? am i missing something here

Although the holes would look sick with some kind of mesh behind them :)

10. murerg

murerg MBK Hero!!!

... one word.. RAIN...

Chubz and Edgar like this.
  11. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

loool true your clutch will be slipping and belt :D just rev the nuts off it and dont move , good point murerg

12. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Clutches (the bells atleast) can get up to red hot i wouldnt have thought its much of a problem?

13. adam thompson

adam thompson New Member

Should never get red hot should not but never that hot boy I drilled holes have a look

Attached Files: