converting drum brakes to disk brakes

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by danny-baotian2012, Nov 12, 2012.

1. danny-baotian2012

danny-baotian2012 Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    how do change a drum brake on a scooter to a disk brake ?
    thanks danny :)

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    If your talking about the bt49-qt 12, then you cant, there's no caliper lugs, or change the engine for a disc model. The drum brake does work!

3. danny-baotian2012

danny-baotian2012 Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    oreyt tar mate

4. TGB-Tuning

TGB-Tuning Gladiator 125cc

Rides:
    Gladiator 125cc
    Does anyone knows if i can do on the TGB 302?

5. ramo

ramo GoldMember

You can put disk wheels on anything with lugs for a caliper basically

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

or you can just use drum brakes. i dont see why people hate them so much, thy work fine on my camaro, they work fine on my cafe racer.

7. danny-baotian2012

danny-baotian2012 Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    they are a good break but i just like the look of the disc brake :)

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Buy a scooter with disc brakes!

9. danny-baotian2012

danny-baotian2012 Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    good idea that haha

10. Snake_Plissken

Snake_Plissken New Member

having Rear disk is better than having drum. My first scooter had rear disk and it stopped on a dime. The Benelli i have has rear drum while it stops good it's not better than the disk. Even thou the disk is better it's not like night and day better and even thou the disk look good it seems like a waste of time to convert over to disk. What if you screw up adding the disk? You won't find out til you your face is buried in the car in front of you. Not wort it to me

11. danny-baotian2012

danny-baotian2012 Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    i get what your saying, it would just be safer and easier buying a bike with a disk brake :)

12. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Prefer drum myself,more tactil feedback.

13. TomCAprilia

TomCAprilia Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR 125
    Can anybody tell me if a disc brake conversion is possible on a 2t aprilia sr 125?
    I've seen many different video tutorials online but none of them cover my model scoot.
    I do have the mount on the engine casing for a calliper, just not sure on what the situation would be with the rear wheel.
    Any help/comments/advice would be great thanks guys! ;)

14. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you will need parts from an italjet dragster 125/180 or a girelli runner sp/frx 125 / 180

Parts needed

rear rim
    disc and disc holder
    caliper and rear brake pump +brake line.

Now its not an easy task. BUT

When you remove the rear wheel and brake pads you will notice to splines either side of the main output shaft wheel bolts to. one of those splines unscrews so you can remove it but the other is fixed and will need cutting off. thats part one.

Next you need to find a place on the rear casing with enough meat to drill two/three holes so you can make up and fit a caliper holder and you will need to make this part yourself. then you fit the disc and disc holder - caliper brake line and brake pump slip on the rear wheel and the exhaust, then go for a ride and HOPE you dont rear end a car if you done it all wrong OR the caliper force tears the caliper mount of the rear gearbox casing and you end up with a unicycle.

its a very technical hack and slash work job , not for the faint hearted and YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.
    its a mod carried out by stunters but to be frank i would NOT be doing it for road use it will fail MOT's

15. TomCAprilia

TomCAprilia Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR 125
    thanks for the advice man. great post too for future reference for anyone in my situation. if its not something thats done regularly then i won't be doing it. I thought the April already had a rear disc brake as when i was doing my research on the bike before purchase i saw a few with rear disc so i thought it was an easy conversion.
    As soon as cut this off and drill this got mentioned i was like no no no no no! hahahaha
    thanks for the heads up, i definitely would have messed it up and ended up with a unicycle like you said.!! lol

16. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Yeah kinda funny because the SR50 comes in a rear disc model to what i could make out.
    would have expected the 50cc and 125cc to share a few motor casings to help bring cost of build down. but looks like aprilla went all out and left them as seperate builds .

yep the drilling part means going through a small gap rim and plating of the rear then creating a caliper mount stand off.
    its a shame they decided only one brake shoe lug would be screw in and the other perma fixed in place . its more a stunter mod so you have the pure feel on the rear brake when piro'ing and in the wheelie and need to keep that rear under full brake control, Drum brakes are good they slow you down, but a rear disc just has that instant mash n lock when needed and also takes less finger presser to instigate it.

17. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if it HAS to be a disk brake, then you probably have weak small hands, nothing wrong with that, i dont struggle with drums at all, find disk rear a bit snappy in the hand tbh, too many years with a clutch...

scubabiker likes this.
  18. TomCAprilia

TomCAprilia Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR 125
    I don't have weak or small hands I just prefer to have a rear disk brake for wheelies. I'd be more confident keeping the front wheel up with a disk brake because I'm so used to wheelies on a mountain bike with avid juicy brakes.
    Looks like I'll just have to learn to be an idiot with a drum break instead. Lol

19. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    its just what your used to, pushbikes didnt have good brakes when i was a kid, hence drums are more natural to me, and ye i have big hands so disks are a bit snappy anyway. a disk is better dont get me wrong, but a drum is more than usable, unless your going for back light scraping manuals you can wheely for days with a drum brake ;) should manage it without much braking at all with a bit of practice

20. TomCAprilia

TomCAprilia Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR 125
    Thanks for the advice man. I'll be sticking to drum brake 100%.
    I'll be back out as soon as I get this dam throttle cable sorted!!