Clutch Springs - breakdown.

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Canning1337, Jan 27, 2012.

1. southweezy19

southweezy19 hardcore ss member

Rides:
    yamaha neos!!
    I have one on order so will let you know on my project thread soon

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    LMAO! Yes, you are absolutely right. Most of the repairs he has asked me to do while he's had it have been rush jobs, as he "Needs the bike for work tomorrow".

I have always loved 2-strokes and the smell of Castrol R in the morning...

I am waiting for some final bits and bobs to arrive, then my labour of love will start in earnest.

Stevep likes this.
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Start a new thread in the workshop forum and post a few pics for us all, be nice to see what you are up to.
    BTW, you do realise that he'll want it back when you've done all this don't you?o_O

4. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    OK will do, once I get the engine out. Once finished, my lad will only get it back off me by prising it from my cold, dead hands...

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

He will probably think............"your proposal is acceptable"............:D

6. JoolsG

JoolsG Active Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Neo´s 50
    Thanks for confirming what I kind of thought was right :D.
    And a huge thanks for the vid. Yet another variable in the equation which would give a better performance to my standardish set up.
    Thanks again mate :)

7. JoolsG

JoolsG Active Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Neo´s 50
    Sorry for the delay in getting back I´ve been doing two jobs recently and I´ve not really been home until tonight.
    Anyway, firstly my relay is fine (I think :confused:) when I press the starter it still clicks like it should, phew I thought I´d have to get a new one....I now believe my starter motor is a gonner...:eek:
    I´ve got a multimeter so I´ll try and see if I can check it.
    Here are the pics I promised....
    I don´t know if this is what you´d call normal wear? I think, in my inexperienced opinion,that this plate looks like it´s been to the moon and back;).
    2013_09_10_20_53_49_ProShot.jpg 2013_09_10_20_57_38_ProShot.jpg 2013_09_10_20_57_55_ProShot.jpg

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    That looks knackered to me, but I'll see what the other knowledgeable peeps think on here.

JoolsG likes this.
  9. southweezy19

Rides:
    yamaha neos!!
    Bloody ell mate you got any pics of the old rollers? be interesting to see. yeah I'd say its nakard putting new rollers on that worn surface will wear them in no time I reckon

JoolsG likes this.
  10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yup, shot. Polini/Malossi replacement please. You've got to change it so may as well be a good one. And the price difference between standard and upgraded isn't that great, so it's worth it.

11. JoolsG

JoolsG Active Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Neo´s 50
    Cheers :)

12. JoolsG

JoolsG Active Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Neo´s 50
    I´ll make some pics of the rollers, but amazingly the old rollers don´t have any flat spots on them (I think they must be made out of kryptonite ;)).
    Even though they looked ok, I replaced them with 5.5g Naraku.

The old one´s weighed in at an average of 4.75g, (I bought a little scale from ebay to weigh my airgun pellets so it can weigh down to 0.01 of a gram.

When I replaced them with totally fresh Naraku rollers and after 2 days my problem was back, I decided to check the variator again and 3 of the naraku had flat spots on them, so I then mixed 3 of the old one´s which weighed in at 4.75g(average) with the remaining 3 Naraku. The scoot ran very fine after this but on the second examination of the variator I really noticed the roller plate damage. I ordered a new one and replaced it 2 days later and now my scooter is driving like a dream.

Technically, I´ve not really tuned my scooter (restricted exhaust, still have the washer on which limits the variator plates coming 100% together) I´m just using slightly lighter rollers, forgot to mention that I bought some 5.0g ones when I picked the plate up (stock weight is 6.5g).

The lighter rollers shouldn´t give me a higher top speed, just better acceleration. My average speed now is about 54kmh(33.5mph) although I clocked my top speed at 71kmp(44mph) using an app on my phone(not sure how accurate it is but my speedo is up the spout so it´s the only way I can monitor my speeds). Legal limit in Denmark for my scooter is 45kph(28mph).

I´m a bit puzzled by this although the top speed must have been while I was riding down one of the short, but steepish hills near me.

Thanks to all who are following this and sharing both their knowledge and interest :) ,
    Cheers,
    Jools

13. scootertuner

scootertuner New Member

14. JoolsG

JoolsG Active Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Neo´s 50
  15. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The 'donotlink' part of the URL is a bit of a giveaway, Pedstop don't want links all over the place it seems...

16. southweezy19

Rides:
    yamaha neos!!
    It's the forum that doesn't allow that site to be linked I think

17. JoolsG

JoolsG Active Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Neo´s 50
    Thanks for letting me know :rolleyes: , I should have worked that one out :oops:

18. JoolsG

JoolsG Active Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Neo´s 50
    The only pedstop I could find is the one with (ad. in the name) and I couldn´t seem to find any tutorials there?

19. NRG2002

NRG2002 Member

if you use a bit of" A D R E N A L I N" with your search you will find it in the how to section on the tabs at the top