Chugging from Variator

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by baddon, May 7, 2017.

1. baddon

baddon New Member

Hi all, we have a BOOM Fun 500 trike that has a Piaggio 500cc single engine and auto drive train.

Recently it has started to knock and chug when pulling away slowely. Its a real pain in traffic.

Anyone any idea what may be wrong?

I had a variator to bits, changed one of the belt discs (not sure of correct name), the belt, all the bearings, pully fan and most of the spacers.

It seems to be getting worse and we are worried it will damage the drive system.

Any ideas?

2. baddon

baddon New Member

stripped out the variator casing tonight and cant see anything obviously wrong...

SO jacked it up, put on blocks so wheels are off the ground and had good lady start her up. I had removed the small ( about 4" diameter) plastic pulley between the two belt cone sets.

No matter what we did it would not happen. Refitted the centre pulley and there was a small amount of jutter. Checked the bearing and there is a very small amount of play. So will order the pulley and bearing fit it all up and try again.

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sounds like that bearing is the cause, just a small amount of play can create a huge wobble when the rpm is increased and a load is added to the drive train

4. baddon

baddon New Member

well its ordered, so when I get fitted and tried will let you know if this sorts it out.

5. baddon

baddon New Member

Well it sort of helped for a while then started again.....So I took it all apart again and checked the clutch plates and springs all ok but the clutch housing had some high spots that I have sanded and filled off.

Test run completed and runs ok.......fingers are crossed.