CG 125 Project

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by shiftygears, May 17, 2015.

1. shiftygears

shiftygears New Member

Rides:
    Runner, Apé, Formula
    Hey guys, thought I would share my project with you. Not sure how this is going to end up as I haven't quite decided which way to go with this yet, was thinking of going for Café racer. I've done many a rat project but that requires a lot less polishing and more matte black.

Anyway, here's where I'm starting. A 1992 Brazil built Honda CG125. I just picked this up for £200. The dog seems to like it anyway.
    [​IMG]

I just got this yesterday (quite late so I couldn't start working on it), it seems pretty good, the guy I bought it off put on a new barrel (you can see the difference).
    [​IMG]

I spent the day stripping the bike, labeling and cataloging all the bits (might eBay the bits I don't need). I started on the back end, everything came off with ease. The big cluster at the back will eventually have to be chopped to accommodate the new seat as I've decided whichever way I go its having a custom seat.
    [​IMG]

I then started on the front end, I had to label all the wires (which are all crammed into the headlight) before I pulled it all apart as I don't (yet) have a Haynes manual. Also took off the chain protector and front mudguard which makes it look more raw.
    [​IMG]

I know CG projects have been done 100 times before but I wanted to have a go myself (and wanted a cheap new project), hopefully make a nice bike to tootle around on.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

flat tracker it! that numberplate doesnt match the year of the bike....

3. shiftygears

shiftygears New Member

Rides:
    Runner, Apé, Formula
    :D Its a Manx registration. There is no numbers or letters to denote the year, it just either has MN, MAN or MANX. It makes for some interesting plates (DMN 666 is a good one I've seen about).

I was thinking about doing a flat track racer but I've already ordered a humped seat for café style, theres nothing stopping me from doing my own take on it though.

When the rain stops I will continue, I want to keep throwing photos up as not enough people take pictures with their projects (I'm guilty for it too).

4. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    be very interested in what you end up with cg 125l.jpg

5. shiftygears

shiftygears New Member

Rides:
    Runner, Apé, Formula
    Get that thing stripped down. Could run this project side by side and see which turns out best (I'll be eating those words later) :p.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

the thing is, theres so many cafe racers, its a bit hipstery now, make it a board track racer maybe? or a sprint bike? stunt bike? something different anyway.... did you see my old gt125 cafe racer? 2012-04-26 16.55.29.jpg was an unintentional cafe racer, i bent the old bars, so got some cheap clip ons, then the seat base rusted through, so chopped the rear subframe and fitted the cafe seat. then the wiring was chopped from an attempted theft, so i reloomed it and took out all the old shit that it didnt need for an MOT.

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

and yes thats just a rev counter and no speedo. i used a bicylce one for MOT then took it off...

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The Manx reg on my zzr was DMN 775D when I bought it, gits at DVLA wouldn't let me keep it:(