Carb setting

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by pow, Apr 12, 2008.

1. SimonT

SimonT New Member

:p

what pipe do you have?

2. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    The PM Tuning 360 one.

3. SimonT

SimonT New Member

what are they like....

im thinking of a giannelli reverse....what are they like in comparrison?

4. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

i would have said the reverse is better.

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ive literally seen/heard the pm 50 pipe.. all noise an fuck all power.. revs but the bikes dont seem all that quick.. i recon i could work with one but would rather buy a decent pipe made for a specific kit rather than some bodged up pipe that wont pass an mot, will snap/rust in a matter of mins... oh and the owner of pm drives a ferari... why the fuck does he still charge 300+ for a bent bit of metal

FUCK PM TUNINMG

6. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

i think that pretty much answers you question simon :rofl:

7. SimonT

SimonT New Member

haha...nice one...

8. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I don't like buying from PM tbh. Cant really argue with the elivery service though.
    In comparison to the Gianelli that I had, The PM pipe performs alot better IMO.

But back on topic, My Runner has started bogging out, coughing spluttering etc. When I take the plug out, clean it and blow the jets through it will run okay for half hour or so then go back to being a fucking turd. Going to put my standard carb back on in a min. My bro keeps saying that the carb was fucked as it is.

9. alex_1966

alex_1966 New Member

if its fine after you clean it out sureley that would mean that your petrol filters fucked and its throwin out dirt that getss stuck in the jets

replace it and see how it runs

10. alex_1966

alex_1966 New Member

or if when you take the plug out and its wet , it means your mixtures to rich , and the cylinders getting flooded with fuel

11. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Yeah the plug looks really wet. I would adjust the idle/air/fuel etc that all of you reccomend doing. But I haven't got a clue with carbs :(

12. alex_1966

alex_1966 New Member

definetly running to rich then , the only reson it works after you clean it all out is taking the spark plug out gices the enigne time to dry out and get rid of all the excess petrol left in the cylinder

to be honest im not that great when it comes to carbs either :emb:

13. alex_1966

alex_1966 New Member

downjettin a littel bit would probly sort this out thou , if it was running fine before have you made any changes to your set up ?

14. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Well I was running a cast iron malossi 70 kit with a 12mm with a airbox and 73 jet.
    I Then put the the 20.5mm carb on with a 70 jet in it and a open filter. It ran fucking rapid for a day and a half then it started coughing/spluttering etc. I then put the Airsal 80 kit on it and it is still running rough as fuck, I dropped the roller weights from 5.5g to 4g and cleaned the plug up, it coughed for about 30 seconds down the road and opened up nicely. Went back, and it started running rough as fuck again.... So I might just put the 12mm carb back on it... I would like to keep the 20.5mm carb but it has caused nothing but trouble. Any advice people??

15. alex_1966

alex_1966 New Member

get the carb set up properley and it will be fine , put on whichever cylinder you want on it and just jet it correctley for it , if its running rich on tickover then it would be an idle adjustment that needs doin , as i said before im not great when it comes to carbs so i cant be much help

16. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Local Piaggio dealer (kegra) keep telling me to book it in...
    But I don't really like being spanked over the counter.
    I might just be better off buying a new 21mm carb that is already jetted correctly for my setup? As I noticed that some shops on eBay will set the carb up to your specs for free before they post them??

Edit: As my brother seems to think that the carb itself is fecked

17. alex_1966

alex_1966 New Member

i dont see how it could be the carbs fault unless the floats sticking ???
    what make is the carb ?

dont waste money for some dick to set it up , probly wont even do it right, im sure if you ask nicely some one of the shack will help you out if your near them

18. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I tried saying that to him but he is persistant that the carb is "fucked"
    The float bowl is fine as far as I know.
    I'm gonna stick the 12mm carb back on and see if that makes a difference.
    I don't think that any of them live round my way? Apart from 1 or 2 (Southend)
    If it does then the 20.5 definatly needs smaller jets maybe?

19. alex_1966

alex_1966 New Member

yeah but first , make sure the plugs dry and let it idle for a while i dunno like 10 mins , take the plug out and if its wet its idleing to rich and that needs to be adjusted , most likely it will be the jets or both thou , down jet a bit look on other posts to see what people have been using for ther 20.5 carbs ;)

20. SimonT

SimonT New Member

hey man...

my 21mm carb was still running pretty rough (and loud)...

what i did over the weekend was put a 74 jet in it....and put the modded airbox back in....

top end power is not as good...but its much smoother and easy to ride in traffic.... much quieter too....

when i sort out a pipe, ill reconsider things.

So.....maybe try a smaller jet with the airbox.