Carb oil/vacuum feed?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by BbG300, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Second hand crank?
    No way!
    I had one off them for an SR125, it had knackered threads on the variator side and they wouldn't entertain me sending it back.
    The sound in the third video.........sounds like a steam engine at first:), then more like the crank mains have gone. That's the bearing at the other end of the conrod from the piston.
    Quite possibly why it won't run right, the firing point will be way out.
    Easiest way to tell is off with the barrel and see if you can pull the conrod back and forth and side to side.

milo2025 and BbG300 like this.
  2. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

I was thinking the same lol, it didn't sound like that when I bought it so I thought it just had carb issues.
    Looks like I'm probably gonna end up having to rebuild the whole bike myself. Never even opened an engine up myself let alone rebuilding one. I'm willing to have a go though as I've had enough of being ripped off by mechanics and these kind of bikes need constant fixing.

Do you know the torque setting needed for the bolts on the head?

milo2025 likes this.
  3. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Here here! :)

BbG300 likes this.
  4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Head nuts are M8,18 ft lb. Piaggio engines are renowned for wear on the drive side bearing, due to the weight of the variator, the crank wears out on the main bearing area, just replace the crank. I have a s/h crank and I won't be re-fitting it.

BbG300 likes this.
  5. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

Thanks a lot for the help. Just waiting for my torque wrench to arrive then I'll take off the head/barrel and check the conrod play to confirm if it's crank bearings or not. I just need a gasket for when I put it back together right? Let me know if I need any other tools etc for this job please. Apologies for my ignorance but what's a s/h crank?

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Second hand.
    If you are doing just the top end you don't need any special tools.
    If you are doing the crank you will need some more special tools

BbG300 likes this.
  7. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

Cheers. I was told the top end has to come off in order to check if it's the crank/bearings that's causing the bike to sound/run weirdly.
    So gotta take the top end off and check what's up first. I'll try to update you guys with a video as well once I've opened everything up. You guys have been very helpful, I appreciate the time that you have taken to reply :)

scubabiker likes this.