can jets go in any way round...?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by mr___laa, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

umm, well i cleaned the float bowl and put that back in correctly....still wouldnt start...i then realised i was very very low on petrol...so i nipped the station and put £3 of petrol in it.

so after filling it up still just turning over and over...i have noticed that the fuel line going into the carb is empty...so i took the pipe off and sucked...but no petrol coming through...why wont any come through?

this could be the reason its not starting now lol...no petrol goin into the carb :(

2. Vesta

Vesta New Member

suck on the vacuum pipe not the fuel pipe or blow it or if u have a new new shape engine with the vacuum on the reedblock you have to blow suck blow suck really fast to get petrol out lol

3. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

okie dokie then, not been in long so not been able to do mch with the bike today. but i have got fuel running through the pipe again...but i had a problem last wednesday with the spark plug cover thing with the wire coming off it etc...so a new spark plug has gone on it and new cover and new wire...

when i finally think im getting there, i went to start the bike (and it did sound like it wanted to start) and then the battery went dead...just my luck, but i have been tryin to start this bike since like thursday/friday ish lol

so the battery is out and going my bro's garage 2moz for a good charge, im in work till late again but should be able to try it and i will keep my fingers crossed its all done then...

vacuum pipe...is that a black pipe going into the carb?

4. Vesta

Vesta New Member

yeah it is mate and whats up with not using your kick starter o_O

5. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

i snapped the spring on it :beg:

6. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

okie dokie then, i hink i have found the vacuum pipe...i took 2 off that poured liquid out (i think it was the 2 stroke) and got to the 3rd black pipe and when i took it off nothing came out....tried to suck and blow on it as hard as i can but nothing is giving way. So i take it its blocked...any other way to unblock it...?

would this leave the bike turning over and over unable to start?

7. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

okie dokie then....fixed it back up....and now i can get it to start but have to rev away at it to keep it going...no idle to it what so ever, i have turned that big screw on the side of the carb right in and right out and its having no difference on the bike..

any more ideas? lol

8. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

alreet then, i have gone back down to the 56 jet and the bike is running and runs at approx 1300rpm in idle and ticks over...i cant get it past 1300 though. i would of liked to have it in idle at around 1800rpm but at the moment im just glad its running lol.

so its running the polini 5.3g rollers, leo vince zx exhaust and on a 56 jet...i will try and up the jet to a 60 tommorow and see if it runs but i might just buy a 58 jet as gilera recommend this if having an after market exhaust.

any reason why i cant get over 1300rpm idle...?

9. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    Sounds like you've de-tuned the carb so much thats why it bearly runs lol.. You need to find out the factory settings for the idle mix, air mix and any other things you've fiddled with then set them back to stock. Then run a 58 or 60 main jet. My carb is the same as yours, I have the same pipe as you and im running a 60 jet with all the other carb settings standard. Air mix is standard, idle mix is standard, needle is on the standard notch and my ped runs very well.
    Also make sure the choke works. By disconnecting it and seeing if that allows the engine to rev but set everything on the carb back to standard first apart from the mainjet.

10. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

hi all, i gave the bike a run today for a couple of mile. Its runs very smooth, takes off nice but when it hits around 5500rpm it seems to bog for about 3 to 4 seconds and then takes off and runs sweet as a nut and hits between 9 and 10k rpm.

The bike only did 30mph when i got it because everything was standard, and even when i riden it, it seemed slow. Now though, it seems nice and quick, so i would say its doing somewhere between 45 and 55mph.

I'm still running the 56 jet though, should i try the 60 again or leave it as it is because im very happy with it.

Although the idle runs low it sounds nice, and in top end its alot faster than what it was. I dont know the actual speed because the speed sensor must be abit faulty. If i waggle the wire and push the bike forward it shows a speed on the display...but if i dont waggle the wire, it shows zero. I dont know if its just because the wire is old on it or if its the full sensor, but the part on the sensor where the wire goes in is sealed i think so i ant just change the wire, it would have to be the full sensor. Then i would be able to get an exact speed.

I have also fixed the kick start, it wasnt a broken spring afterall. It must have sprung off when i have been messing with the bike. So all thats done now. It started 1st time this morning aswel off the electric start.

So, will i be fine running the 56jet as i dont see any problems while i ran it today, the little bit of bogging must be the mixture settings but i will take it to a garage and get them to set it right for me as i dont want to mess anything up on it. Cost me a bomb to get to work and back for the week its been ill. 3 trains to work and 3 back lol.

Next im going to re-spray the bike, and re-place the belt with a polini belt. I dont think i will be upgrading it to a 70 bore kit as soon as i thought i would. Im now insterested in buying an Aprilia rs125.

11. Vesta

Vesta New Member

what colours the plug?

12. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    yeh check plug colour then decide if you need to upjet slightly. Try a 58, then 60. But you may need to downjet even it really depends what the plug says really.

13. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

hi all, sorry i aint been on to update my thread...been busy with work. anyways, the bike has been running good for the past 4 days, my mixture is still out slightly because i drag at 5.5k rpm for between 4-7 seconds and then it goes up and up to 10k rpm with a top speed of 55mph on flat road.

It is still running the standard 56 jet so im going to check the plug again tommorow as its my day off (finally!!)

If its ok on my colour chart should i leave the jet alone and just focus on my mixture?

Also...will a polini belt make any difference to my ride...? smoother/faster?

14. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

okie dokie then, pissed it down all day long yesterday so i didnt do much. bt i checked the spark plug and going off the colour chart its normal (runing on standard 56 jet)

so i think i will just focus on this mixture, what should i do..? just gie it a half turn and ride and see how it goes

15. adz452

adz452 Member

Rides:
    Vespa T5
    screw it all the way in and twist it out 1 and a half turns and work form there

16. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    it runs/dont stall at idle then the mix is fine.... your prob is your pipe wanting to make power at an rpm ABOVE when your clutch is engaging so the engine rpm doesent rise till your moving.. this has FUCK ALL to do wiht jetting. the clutch is set too soft (use stiffer springs, yelllow malossi will be cool)

17. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

cheers mate, took your advice and just bought 3 sets of malossi clutch springs for it along with a 72 main jet to see how that would work with it.

would you recommend going to a bigger pilot jet at all? i think standard is a 32, and i have seen a guy on the net running a 36. any idea where to buy them though if you do recomend.

im also looking at buying a polini variator and polini belt off vesta. so with all this do you think i will be pulling off quicker/any better top end? im hitting 51mph on flat now.

and to finish on a high note, im having the bike re-sprayed at the end of the month. its got a few knocks n scrapes on it that was in it when i bought it so they are getting filled in and smoothed off. its going metallic black with all decals going back on. possably some grey or silver on it aswel :good:

thanks again for feedback all :grin:

18. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

the springs arrived today :yahoo:

are the yellow springs the strongest? i have got a set of black, white and yellow. and im going to be doing these tommorow, any special tools needed at all?

19. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    a vice helps... hooks, screwdrivers but the most important tool for clutches is patience and thought. stripping the 50 clutches to fit springs usually means bent shoe pegs so you just gotta clamp up the clutch and pull them into place. use your noodle. you wont just pull them on easily.

20. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

cheers for the info mate, i spent 2 hours this morning trying to pull the yellow springs over wih a screwdriver but all i managed to get was about 4 cuts to my fingers... :confused:cratch:

so then i tried the white springs, another couple of cuts...then the black and 1 more cut.

so i have just ordered a clutch spring hook from donotlink pedstop lol!

i managed to get the origional springs back on and put it back together for now, so you was right in saying my origional springs are too soft. im back in work saturday so i guess its going to be next week now before the springs are done lol

thanks for letting me know mate :grin: