can jets go in any way round...?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by mr___laa, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

2. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

advice from the newb, "dont try a different branded jet, make sure you match it to your carb....just tried with that jet i bought and it pissed petrol everywhere"

so im back to the standard 56 and just bought a 60 (the right one) off fleabay lol

3. rideorcollide

rideorcollide Active Member

Rides:
    TYPH 172
    nah mate you got the wrong jet. did u get it from scooter attack?? they sell funny ones.

buy a stage6 jet box from there, that will fit.

4. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

yah, i have ordered a new jet off fleabay, so i cant run the bike on the standard 56 jet?

5. SimonT

SimonT New Member

good stuff...like rideorcollide said... best to get a box of them.... in different sizes.....

that way you can trial and error until you get the right one.

6. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

"Near The End Of The Tunnel"

As the title states, im near the end of the tunnel now lol. Yesterday i was too nervous to remove the carb to change my jet, today the carb has been off the bike about 6 times lol. I figured out i had bought the wrong jet for my carb (at the time of buying i didnt know you could get different jets lol). So i now have a new jet on the way in the post. My day went from bad to worse when i put the origional jet back in the carb because i then started to get petrol pissing about of the float bowl, i then realised the rubber ring wasnt on right lol, anyways...its all back together now and i have a few last questions......

I have noticed at the back of the air filter box where a tube fits onto the carb, there is a metal washer with holes in it (looks like it slightly blocks the air flow) should i remove this to allow more air to flow into the carb...?

Will the bike run ok on the standard size 56 jet until my new jet arrives, or will the damage the bike doing this...?

After i have changed the jet to the size 60 jet, will this sort out the bike running in idle...? Because at the moment it wont run proper in idle but this will be down to the jet wont it? With it not letting enough fuel through etc.

And i just want to thank everyone who has posted in this thread and previous threads, every post has helped me one way or another. Its down to you guys that my zx exhaust is hanging on the side of my bike and given me the confidence to do the jet/rollers etc...thanks :banana:

7. SimonT

SimonT New Member

nice work man....

i still recommend you get more than the single 60 jet... get a selection so you fit the right one..

i dont recommend running the bike with the smaller jet. it may run fine... but may also be too lean and damage something.

that brass thing with the holes in it... ditch it. choose a new jet that can support the increased air flow.

the jet wont do anything for the idle... youll find there are 2 screws on the side of the carby. the big silver one is the idle speed... this controls the revs at idle... the small brass one is the idle fuel mixture. youll have to play with these two for your idle settings :tup:

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    beat me to it again and again.... :up:

60 jet, ditch the brass thing, leave the airbox as it is (no holes/removed parts) then sort your rolers.... but yes order everything from 60 through 90 in a box.... get yourself some 4.5/5.2/5.5/6.3/7.2 rollers you WILL use them at some point and its usefull to have enough rollers to make up any likely weight (can 3 and 3 or 2,2,2 those rolers o make any weight prittymuch) never hurts having more rollers/jets than you need... not having them and needing them is just fucking annoying.... as ive found drilling rollers the last few months :confused:

9. SimonT

SimonT New Member

hehe i am super speedy :p

10. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

thanks guys, i will get the train to work again 2moz to be on the safe side until my jets arrive, i replaced the rollers with polini 5.3g and its running good, do i need the grease the rollers when putting them in?

11. SimonT

SimonT New Member

yeah smart move.

nup...dont grease the rollers....

were the ones in there greased?

12. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

no the ones i took out wasnt greased, just cracked and manky lol...its just while i was "busy" at work 2day i popped to 'Halfords' and read a book on gilera scooters lol, and it showed in there to grease the rollers when replacing...but thought i would ask the experts on here b4 going off what a book says lol

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    only the old shape 50 engines had grease, even then i think it was more the haynes man assuming they forgot the grease on assembely.. there self lubricating.

14. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

hi all, my jet arrived yesterday and with e getting in from work at half 8 tonight and still having light outside i changed the jets over. i then started the bike and it sounded nice...just when it tried to run in idle it cut out obviously because of that little screw on the side of the carb being un-timed. so i went to start the bike back up and it was just turning over and over and yeah you guessed...over....

so back in the carb i went, it was full of petrol...so i wapped the jets back over to the origional 56...put the brass washer back in the air filter bit...so it was all back to normal as it was a couple of days ago and back then...it was running...1st time, everytime....i tried it again...and its still just turning over :(

any idea why...?

15. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    float not in correctly... maybe its not completly full (idle mixture comes from higher than the main jet so float level will leave it a non runner) any time i change a jet it ether takes priming the carb (suck the vac for 10 seconds) or kicking for a good couple mins. good hard kicks, set the idle mix to factory setting (around 2 turns and it should start) dont give up wiht it.

16. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

thanks mate, too dark outside now to do anything but i will try again tommorow...thinking about it now you could be right. that little grey round thing inside the floatbowl held by the pin has a little needle on it with a red cone on the end...i didnt check that it went in right. i will check that 2moz and reset the idle and let you know

should be around half 7 i get in 2moz from work, so will be on about 8 ish and let u now the outcome

thanks again matey

17. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye its literally a loose pin that the bowl holds in place, IF its just in the right place on asembely.. if not it cocks the float and it only partially fills the bowl..

remember to suck the vac pipe once assembeled (opens the fuel tap and lets the carb fill up ready to start)

18. mr___laa

mr___laa New Member

is that the little pipe at the bottom of the float bowl?

19. Blue dwarf

Blue dwarf New Member

No thats the overflow,
    You have two pipes coming from the fuel tap to the carb, remove one of them from the carb and suck, if you get a mouth full of petrol it`s the wrong one to suck :D if you get nothing keep sucking for a few seconds as this has opened the vaccum tap and fuel is now flowing into the carb.
    By the way if you remove the brass calibration disc in the mouth of the carb you will need at least a 75 main jet and not a 60 or you`ll be way to weak (scoot would probably bog with a 60 anyway and be unrideable)

20. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    on my zip (with airbox) and zx pipe, same engine and carb as you, without the brass washer thingy lol, im running a 60jet and 6g rollers and its good, would be better with a 58 jet and 5.5g rollers i recon. so your 5.3g rollers and a 60 jet should be fine, and like minor said get a few box's of 6mm jets and loads of rollers!