Built in riders backrest.

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by gilburton, Jan 28, 2017.

1. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Does anyone know of any scooters with built in riders(not passenger) backrests??
    Reason I ask is that I know someone with a bad back who will have to give up motorcycling because of it so I suggested a scooter.
    I know some come with fairly deep riders seats but do any actually have for instance a pull up backrest?
    I know with some you can get it as an accessory or even just make something to lean against but a built in one or a flip up rear seat would be great.
    Any cc as he has a full licence.

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Kymco agility has a flip up passenger seat but I was hoping to find something bigger than a 50.

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    X9 evo 250 has a backrest like seat ;)

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmmm
    I can see one in my head but throwing a blank...
    I have a lot of joint problems, a back protector helps a bit, riding a rigid doesnt...

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    as said piaggio done the X9 evo in a 125cc -250cc and 500cc all have a step backrest on the riders seat check the attachment, its a low back rest but less defined than a full tall reach backrest you would see for pillion passengers.

Attached Files:

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Honda silverwing

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

depends on the bike, but practically anything can be modified to suit.

8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

The Piaggio Hexagon had one a bit like a car headrest but it doesn't come up very far.
    All the ones mentioned are just deep seats and offer no back support whatsover a bit like my Honda CN250.
    There seem to be plenty of kits in the U.S. but nothing in the UK.
    I know something could be made up I just wondered if there were any scooters already equipped.
    So far not much luck.

9. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    maybe worth him perching on a X9 evo see if that shorter rest would help some what its more lower back so could be a helpful thing

10. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

I suspect it will need to be a proper backrest assuming he does try a scooter as it's his vertibra that is the problem so the more support to give a proper seat back the better.
    I've no doubt some sort of bag strapped to the rear seat would do the job but as said the US seem better served in this sort of thing than we do.
    I'll wait and see if he likes the idea first.
    I've known him since school and we were in to bikes at 16 in the early sixties but he's in Scotland and I'm in Northants so I can't be there face to face to find out his thoughts.

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Use SKYPE video calling. No cost if you are both using wi-fi to call
    Can be used on mobiles as well, so you can video chat to discuss the options as well as look at the problem on the bike at the same time.

12. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

I'm closing the thread as I have talked to him and the problem is because of his back it is affecting the nerves in his hand which can lock up his fingers when using the front brake.
    So it turns out a backrest probably won't be needed lol
    I've now suggested a scooter with linked brakes or even an mp3 LT with a footbrake so I'll leave it with him.