Bloody Electrics

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by pricey, Dec 6, 2006.

1. pricey

pricey Member

Hello, I need help.

I got a flat tyre the other day, so took exhaust off then the wheel and got the puncture repaired for free, then last night, put it back on along with the exhaust and went to start it up.

Nothing...

I know the wheel and exhaust is nothing to do with the electrics but was wondering why there is nothing, no electrics. Recently the bike has been taking ages to start. And now, there is no indicators, lights or anything.

It can't be the battery as it is quite new and my mates doesn't work either and its not the spark plug as this is only a couple of weeks old

So it is something else like a loose wire or something. I have tried to follow the earth wire and make sure this is touching metal which it is. There is another wire as well which i thought mite be an earth wire which is near where i sprayed wd40 to help get part of my carb off. Don't think this should affect it as i cleaned it aswell.

Also i lightly sanded the connections on the battery and the red and black wires which connect and screw to the battery, to make the connection cleaner.

Lastly, my mate thinks it could be the fuse which has gone just not sure where it would be. Near the battery? Like under the battery cover?

Sorry for the long post just trying to give as much information as poss.

The Bikes a Katana aswell btw.

Please Help

Pricey.

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    no electrics and no start basicly says to me the ignition switch is fucked..

the rectifier or starter relay might be knackerd also but your lights should still work if thats the case. youve tryd the obviouse earths, have you looked for any frayd wires anywhere else in the loom? look around all the joins/kinks in the loom for any broken wires. like i said total loss of everything electrical leads me to belive its the ignition switch tho

3. pricey

pricey Member

oh shiiiit.

Thing is the ignition was working fine the night before and everything else,

Just taking a while to start.

:wtf: :(

I am going to try and change the fuse near the battery aswell.

Any other ideas anyone? :msn1:

4. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
  5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the ignition was working fine the other day... so were your lights bruv.

im asuming you have already checked the fuses without needing to be told this (if not put the tools down an step away from the bike)

if the fuse/fuses are fine then it must be rectivier or ignition switch..

only other thing that can stop the lights working on certian moddles is if the oil sender plug has fallen off (wires that go to the sencor on the oil tank) a broken wire or youve burnt through the loom somwhere.

6. pricey

pricey Member

Yer i have checked the fuse. It was blown, changed it still nothing.

Checked battery power with a multimeter and it has full power.

Changed spark plug, brand new one.

New fuse as old one was blown.

Checked the earth wire, thats ok im sure.

Im just going to take it back to the guy i bought it from as he knows everything about katanas and he can sort me out for like 10-20 quid.

:wtf:

7. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    check if the new fuse has blown

if so you have an electrical short

8. pricey

pricey Member

:confused:arc:

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    right, where the stator wires are..look for a broken wire. its obviously a positive wire earthing out

10. pricey

pricey Member

Might sounds stupid minor but whats a stator, what it do and where is it on most bikes?

cheers

11. lukamon

lukamon New Member

from the back, its on the right hand side of your engine behind the flywheel. seriously though, if you dont know what this is or what it does then id take it to a garage :)

12. Nrg-Sam

Nrg-Sam Active Member

so does it kickstart??? i had a similar problem with the jog, ended up being a burned out wire in the loom :eh:

sam

13. pricey

pricey Member

Im not sure if it kickstarts because my kickstart doesnt work. i need to get a new one.

my mate has a katana so im goin to put his case on see if it kickstarts.

:( :eh: