Biff the Ageing Bof

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Stevep, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I've only got two lines off the pump, one to each of the mains.
    Unless I create a new, doubled up fitting off one of these, there is no way I can feed the carb without having a free flowing situation.

Typing this I've just had a thought.
    There is a bleed screw at the bottom of the oil pump, with the right fitting I can utilise that to feed the carb.

Maybe that's where the previous owners went wrong and seized the engine......................hence the T piece.

But then I still have a situation where I'm getting no oil feed from the pump to the lines.
    There is a small spring loaded valve in the bottom of the oil pump, which when removed allows oil to get into the lines quite freely.
    Replace the valve and there is no oil feed to the oil lines.
    And for the life of me I cannot work out how the cable attached arm is supposed to work it.
    I think something may be missing out of it.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Got the new rear wheel nut during the week, straight out to the garage to make sure I got the threads and pitch right. I did.;)
    So that means I can now fit the new chain and sprockets and tensioners properly.
    Then onto the rear brake set-up and torque arm for the drum.
    I have to loosen the footpeg bar to fit the exhaust.
    I've been thinking about the carb/oil feed problem.
    For now, I'm just going to pre-mix the fuel a little, just to be safe.
    I'll still have the feed to the crank bearings, so the premix will feed the piston nicely I hope.

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yep incorrect oilier .

single feed to oil pump , dual feed from oil pump , one to the crank case bearings , second to the inlet on carb for piston lube .
    now the vac its sounds a bit wierd for an old bike to have a vac pump fuel petcock, so im thinking did they vac feed the valve on the oilpump , ie to turn it on and off via vac pressure.

maybe worth popping onto an oldie vintage forum see if they can spread a little light on the oiler / carb / piston/crank bearings bit. just to be fully sure buddy

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

One feed into oil pump, two feeds out. BOTH to the crank bearings.
    That's how the engine came apart.
    Quite possibly why it was siezed.
    However, you have just given me an idea.
    Provided I can find a double banjo bolt, I can feed both crank bearings off one oil feed and the carb off the other.
    But that brings another problem.
    I don't have any other banjo fittings for the attachment to go from the oil pump to the carb. And I can't find any either.
    And it's a different hose diameter when it reaches the carb end.
    I could maybe find another pipe set and "modify" one of lines from that, after all I only need the banjo fitting, but I still have the problem of finding a double banjo bolt of that size. M6 threaded.
    AAARRRGGGHHH!:mad:

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    found this on myrons not sure if it helps but they aint no feed to the carb on this either just straight to crank . both run the suzuki posi feed system

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/1969-Suzuki-AS50-Ad.jpg

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah I dont think my gt had any to the carb, if I recall there was an oilway up from the block into the manifold

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Much the same as on the suzuki katana 50 I had. No feed to the carb or intake manifold, just fed off the crank supply.
    I'm still going to run it with a little pre-mix though, just for safety's sake. The last thing I want is to shag the new piston, those Meteor pistons aren't cheap, even to me.

scubabiker likes this.
  8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Could this be the first sign of life in years?

IMG_20171204_162559.jpg

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Get the whole day to work on it:)
    after the bacon sandwich that is...................;)

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Make sure that bacon sandwich has enough bacon!

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It did! And brown sauce.:)

Anyways, got indicators, neutral light, headlight, then the bulb blew, found the rear brake light, but seem to have a ground problem to the rear tail light circuit somewhere.
    No horn yet, and no spark either so far.
    Found I have a broken wire right inside the switch gear for the lights, so have to sort that out as I don't think I will find another one anytime soon.
    Not having a spark at the plug is also a mystery, possible coil, but more likely to be a wiring problem somewhere no doubt.

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Condensor?

13. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    1" thick with Colmans - 1 for breakfast at 05:00 & 2 for lunch.:):):).

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Maybe, yet to check it; but there cheap enough so I'll probably just replace it.

And as for you MR MK, that's just..........well...........what can I say........................;)

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It sparks.......was a points problem.

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Oil tanks got a lovely spilt in it:(
    Looks like it's premix then until I can find another.
    Still need a throttle tube for 19mm bars if anybody can help source one?

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Found a throttle tube, fits nicely.
    Also...................it starts!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D
    Only had it run for 3 - 4 seconds as it still has open vacuum and oil connections, so massive amount of revs, but it starts and runs.
    That must be the first time in a couple of decades at least.:cool:

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

NO CABLE NIPPLES!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Got the throttle slide piece and throttle tube to work successfully together using a length of carb cable, time consuming little job but at least it's done, need to make a new split cable for the oil pump and carb, same as all the other 2t scooters, only to find I have no 5.5mm cable nipples left in the box. Bugger. That's shot that job in the foot then.
    Loads of nipples and fittings ordered, lets hope they don't take too long to get here.
    Still need to find a replacement oil tank.

19. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    can you make one buddy use solder iron to drizzle a plug , 5.5mm drilll bit into some wood then drizzle molten solder in with cable end inplace, fray the cable end a little to make a good fixing point

have a couple test trys, i do know they make a repair kit that uses liquid metal in the same fashion.

20. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Na.
    I like my cables to be proper.

And I just found some more stuff on "that" site:D
    Complete r/h switch gear with throttle tube, brake lever and brake switch
    NOS throttle/oil pump cable
    NOS ignition switch
    New rear brake light switch.

Who's a happy bunny then...............me:)me:)me:)